Some Before Pictures

August 11, 2011

Some Before Pictures

August 11, 2011
So. I went into school today with my sister and we worked on the room for five hours. We are beat! We did a ton today and will be headed in again tomorrow. I don’t think my room will be totally done for a couple of weeks, but I wanted to post my before pics now, so I could link back to them when we are finished.

So here it is. In all its finery, ugh.

One of my walls of chalkboards (covered now!)

Front of the room (I was so excited when I uploaded this photo because the clock shows before 8:00–which is like a miracle for me in the summer!!).

Closet area (where the math games/manipulatives go)

Ok, if you made it this far, I apologize for the totally ugly and uninspiring post. This sure won’t end up on Pinterest. I just wanted to have these pics to refer to later without having 9,422 pictures in one post! Thanks for reading 🙂

• Anonymous August 11, 2011 at 1:43 am

Can't wait to see it when it is done! Have fun on your vacation!

• Amanda K. August 11, 2011 at 1:45 am

I can't wait until mine is complete! It is mostly finished, but it's not…refined. This being the first week and all…I'm EXHAUSTED at the end of the day. Too tired to make it better. But…drum roll please…one of my wonderful parents has offered to come help me friday morning while the kids are in special area (PE and Library back to back–sweet nibblets). She and I will knock it out. Glad you have help!

Third Grade Meanderings

• Lovin' First August 11, 2011 at 1:52 am

Your room looks so big! I am loving that closet area. What kind of shelves do you use? They have utility shelves at places like Home Depot and Lowe's that would house so much stuff!… an idea 🙂
    I can't wait to see everything you do!

Have fun on your vacation!… I'll be back to school on Monday for a week of inservice!

Fabulous Firsties!

p.s. Can you tell me how you got your comments numbered? I've looked up so many tutorials but can't get it to work. Thanks!

• Kristen August 11, 2011 at 1:59 am

Hey Kim, thanks!!

Amanda, I can't wait to see the rest of your pics when you are all set. Your room already looks fantastic! How sweet of your parent to offer help–it does make a big difference when someone helps out!

Lovin' First, I have that tutorial here:
    Kristen
    Numbering Comments

• Lovin' First August 11, 2011 at 2:11 am

Oh my goodness, Kristen! You are a lifesaver. 🙂 I have googled so many tutorials and they were all so difficult AND they didn't even work. YAY! 🙂 you should go and enter my giveaway now!

Fabulous Firsties!

• Jed and Rachel August 11, 2011 at 2:19 am

I totally using your idea of the blue/black/white decorating this year. (It's been two years since I've been in the classroom, but because of budgets I'm going back in.) So, I'm having to buy everything new anyway. I'm LoViNg it!

• mtompkins August 11, 2011 at 4:13 am

Can't wait to see the finished product! I've been working in my room all this week and have been exhausted. Starting to see progress though. 🙂 Enjoy your vacation!

WILD About First Grade!

• Susie August 11, 2011 at 4:20 am

I can't wait to see your room all finished! I am hoping to get my after pictures of my classroom posted soon, too! It's such a long process. Best of luck! Have a wonderful, relaxing vacation!

Susie
    crafty-bug-susie.blogspot.com

• Ms.M August 11, 2011 at 5:21 am

I am glad you posted some pictures. I have had some to post since Monday but I've been so swamped I haven't even had a chance to upload them to my Mac Book!

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Brightfield Farm August 11, 2011 at 9:07 am

Have a great vacation! I can't wait to see the finished product. You are one of the first blogs I check every day!! :0)

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram