Community Supply Bins {printable}

August 4, 2011

Community Supply Bins {printable}

August 4, 2011

This is the last time I blog about supply labels, aaargh!!

Well, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is I occasionally post about my projects before they are completely finished, since I can’t wait to share them with you! The reason this is good?

Because of the bad news: I thought the taller cups I was using for my supplies could be hot glued to the bins, so they wouldn’t tip over. Unfortunately, this melted my first set of cups beyond repair. Sigh.

However, I took solace in the fact that I hadn’t finished the project and ruined all of the cups yet!

So maybe it is good to blog first, then test.

No, I’m joking! From now on, it’s finish the project. Then blog about it.

So. Here is my Community Supply Bin system, officially. I’ve used versions of this in the past, but never with the larger shoe bins, just baskets. The bins will be ideal because they can hold so much more. I like how they are clear, because the label can be made to match the room’s theme and/or color scheme.

Smaller cups (which are very steady!) are used for crayons and glue sticks:

Taller cups are used for markers, colored pencils, and scissors. By the way, these cups were the original problem. But my sister (also a teach!) had a brilliant idea: We used those little shiny stones from the Dollar Tree to weigh them down a bit:

Turns out you only need about 8 in each cup to provide the perfect amount of weight and keep it steady. My sister wanted me to get the clear stones but, of course, I insisted on the colored ones so I could sort them to match. I drive her crazy!
Now all cups can be taken out of the larger bins if need be and won’t tip so easily.

On a side note, the unfinished labels and failed project gave me the perfect excuse to try out a new kind of label, which I actually like better. I got the little frame graphics from this incredible site I keep reading about on several other fabulous blogs: Print Candee.

Ok, that was more than I ever wanted to post about supply bins. The project is officially finished! Off to plan for the new year…the files for the labels are below (these are the same I shared a few days back) 🙂

• Donna August 4, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Kristen,
    I was just in Target today staring at the baskets/bins trying to figure out how I wanted to manage my community supplies this year. I stood there for 10 minutes, couldn't decide, and left empty handed. Well, you just solved my problem – this idea is genius! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Donna
    Peace, Love & Learning

• Kinder Fun August 5, 2011 at 12:29 am

Ya! I love these!
    Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Ayala’s Kinder FUN
    ❤Michelle

• uscteacher August 5, 2011 at 12:51 am

This is the first time I have done labels for my community supplies and I'm loving the way it looks! I think because of you I have gone a little label crazy!!!

• 4th Grade Wonders August 5, 2011 at 1:24 am

soo awesome! you rock!

• Ms.M August 5, 2011 at 5:20 am

I would have never have thought of the weighted stones. I was thinking of suggesting some glue dots, but I like that the cups are not fixed and can be moved around. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Marlana August 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Could you use those little velcro dots or maybe even sticky tack to keep them down?

✿Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten

• Kristen August 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Hey guys, thanks so much!!

Marlana, thanks for commenting and stopping by! I did try Velcro, but then the cup wasn't steady when taken out and placed on the table. I like that the rocks keep them weighted and they can be moved around. Love your little flower on your siggy! 🙂

• Dana August 6, 2011 at 1:37 am

I hate to ask but….could you attach or send the new labels? they are just too cute. You are totally making my ocd addictions worse! Thank you!!

Dana
    myglittergarden
    dana.morrow@bisd.net

• KHeister August 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm

What size labels do you print on? I am so excited to get this project started, I am just not sure what I should print on and how you got them in neon colors.

Thanks,
    Katie

• Kristen August 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Dana, I am waiting on permission to share certain parts of the graphics. If I get an ok I'll be sharing them on here.

KHeister, hi! They actually aren't sticky labels, they are printed on colored paper and then taped on with packing tape to the cup (I think you can see the tape if you enlarge the picture). I hope this helps!

• Busy Bees August 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I love community containers. They are so easy to refill and there is no arguing over I bought this or that is mine!! Thanks so much for sharing. Just became your newest follower!!
    BusyBees

• Dana August 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Awesome! You totally rock!

• Christina Bainbridge August 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Thank you so much for directing me to this post! I'm not *exactly* sure yet what I'm going to do about supply boxes, but I like your plan a lot! I like how the shoe boxes will catch little bits of "yuckiness" and could be so easily cleaned!

Thanks for taking the time to share your idea on my blog comments! 🙂

Christina
    Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog

• Megan August 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I love these! I got my cups for my table boxes on sale (5 cents each!)and I had a light blue instead of the green I needed and your labels fixed my problem. I also snagged your A-H book bin labels for my reading centers. My classroom has never looked so organized. Thank you for sharing all your hard work!!
    Megan

• Kristen August 8, 2011 at 1:36 am

Hey Megan, thanks for stopping by. 5 cents is an amazing deal!! I'm so happy you could use the labels on the cups. Thanks for the kind words, you made my day 🙂

• Whitney Putnam August 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I love the labels! If I have further items to label – dry erase markers – rulers – calculators – how can i use what you created to make my own? Love them and can't wait to get started!!!

Whitney

• Ashley May 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I think the answer to this question is probably obvious to you, but I am looking for the easiest way to copy your graphics on to the frames I purchased from Print Candee. How do you go about doing this?

Love your site!

• Laura Ellison May 12, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Thanks to you, I just fell in love with Print Candee! How did I not know about it?! Love the idea for the community bins; my partner and I were just discussing how we were going to handle supplies next year, and I think that is an excellent idea!

Laura

Will Grade For Coffee

• Mrs. Reading May 19, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Love your ideas! I'm a bit of a label junkie myself. I tried community supplies this year. I ran into the problem of supplies that had kids' names written on them…lots of, "hey, he's using my scissors!" did you run in to any of this?

• mikelynn91 July 10, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thank you VERY much for sharing your giftedness! May God bless you this school year with lots of fun moments with your class!

• Unknown August 11, 2012 at 2:49 am

This is beautiful! I have a few silly questions, though. Are the cups the plastic disposable kind, and did you hot glue the stones to the bottom of the cups? Thanks so much. You are AMAZING!

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Thanks and not a silly question at all! The cups are plastic (solo cups) and I just put the stones in. This is my old system but it worked really well so I'm using it again this year (sans stones–I have smaller baskets that hold the cups more tightly this year) 🙂

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram