New blog feature–Find it Fast!

July 28, 2011

New blog feature–Find it Fast!

July 28, 2011
I was thinking the other day how visuals are so key on the Internet, and how cool it would be to have a visual menu on your blog! Kind of like a quick, go-to menu. It would be so great for finding posts people might remember reading awhile back. And it would definitely be a great resource for any new readers and followers.

So I had an idea on how to do this easily–with Inlinkz! I know so many of us have used this service before for linky parties. But I thought, maybe it could be used to link up older posts on your own blog! So I wrote an email, just to check if this was ok with Inlinkz. They wrote a lovely email back and even showed me a way to remove the submit button when finished, so it wouldn’t look so much like a linky party, but a picture menu.

To remove the button only involves one simple step and can be found here: Galleries and Product Lists with InLinkz. And I think, but am not certain, you could even make commission if people click on InLinkz through your collection, if you are interested in doing that (I don’t belong fully, I just buy one month’s subscription once in awhile–it’s only $1.99 for a month of collections).

I added mine to the top, rightmost tab:
It’s a list of visual links to most of my printables here. I have it set so the older links are at the top and newer towards the bottom.

I’m hoping this will be another way to navigate through the blog. Do you think this is something you would try on your blog? I would love to see it if you do!!

• Mrs. Coe July 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I so love this idea. You are fantastic.
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

• Mrs. Adcock July 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh wow!!! I am in love with your blog!!! I found so many cool things because of this nifty little tool.

• Mrs. Inji's Class July 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

wow!!! i would so support this idea!!! it is a very quick way of finding things than having to actually read through everything:))) thank you so much:)

• Teacher Tam July 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

What a great idea! I love it.

• Grade ONEderful July 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

That is SO cool. Thanks.

❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

• Hope King July 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for posting! This is such a great idea! I am new to the blog world and all of these tips are super useful!

Hope King

• Annie Moffatt July 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

You are my blogging hero!!

• Littlest Learners July 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Just when I think you've thought of it all. 🙂

Ironically, I've been working on a way to catalog all my themes and products using blogger. It's what I was up doing last night. I think you are onto something awesome here. I can't wait to play around with it. I'll keep you posted!!!

❤Jodi from…
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

• Anonymous July 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I think this is an awesome idea!! So much easier than using the search button on blogs! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

• Stacy K. Wolf July 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Oh, I LOVE this newest feature!!! I think it needs to be mandantory 🙂 I will be trying this on my blog too! I love all your helpful tidbits!

✿ Stacy
    Land of Aha-Z!
    The Wolf’s Den

• thepolkadotowl July 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Find it Fast is fabulous!!! It's like a Pinterest for your personal offerings. I absolutely love it! 🙂

• Ana July 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I have used this button but with my tags. It is a great idea to link it with the new gadget.
    thanks
    Ana

• Ms. Male July 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Kristin, you always impress me. What a great idea!

A Day in the Life of a 2nd Grade Teacher

• Miss Murphy July 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Such a great idea, Kristen! This is so helpful!
    Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Kayla

• Jodi July 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm

This is a fabulous idea! If I find time, I'm totally going to play around with this. Thanks for sharing!

❀Jodi
    Fun In First

• Littlest Learners July 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

OK…so I spent naptime playing around with this and am so so excited. Quick question if you have time. I love how your images are large and next to each other. Mine came out smaller. Did you need to do something special? Here's a link to the page I'm working on to show you what I mean.

Thanks, Jodi

• oh' boy July 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

have I told you I {PUFFY} HEART LOVE YOU….welll if not

I {PUFFY} HEART LOVE YOU!!!

• Ms.M July 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Where do you find this stuff and get these ideas! Wow you are fantastic. I am going to have to find a new and better word to describe you because fantastic doesn't cover it anymore.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Amy July 28, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Coolest. Thing. EVER.

Amy @ First Things First

• Mrs. Morris July 28, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I would love to see a video tutorial on this. I am having trouble.

Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

• Anonymous July 29, 2011 at 1:37 am
  • YearntoLearn July 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Kristen,
    This is off topic, but I'm having an issue with my new posts not showing in my dashboard or Reader. They post on my blog, but don't update and show for those following me.
    I have a feedburner gadget on my blog and my newest post shows there. I've tried scheduling a post or doing it automatically and both times the new post does not display in the dashboard or reader. I know others have had the same issue (Adrienne at Wiggin's World did a post about it too).

Denise
    Yearn to Learn Blog

• Kristen July 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Hey YearntoLearn, I'm headed over to your blog to talk to you!

• Dana July 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I love the "Find it Fast"! It works great!

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram