New blog feature–Find it Fast!

July 28, 2011

New blog feature–Find it Fast!

July 28, 2011
I was thinking the other day how visuals are so key on the Internet, and how cool it would be to have a visual menu on your blog! Kind of like a quick, go-to menu. It would be so great for finding posts people might remember reading awhile back. And it would definitely be a great resource for any new readers and followers.

So I had an idea on how to do this easily–with Inlinkz! I know so many of us have used this service before for linky parties. But I thought, maybe it could be used to link up older posts on your own blog! So I wrote an email, just to check if this was ok with Inlinkz. They wrote a lovely email back and even showed me a way to remove the submit button when finished, so it wouldn’t look so much like a linky party, but a picture menu.

To remove the button only involves one simple step and can be found here: Galleries and Product Lists with InLinkz. And I think, but am not certain, you could even make commission if people click on InLinkz through your collection, if you are interested in doing that (I don’t belong fully, I just buy one month’s subscription once in awhile–it’s only $1.99 for a month of collections).

I added mine to the top, rightmost tab:
It’s a list of visual links to most of my printables here. I have it set so the older links are at the top and newer towards the bottom.

I’m hoping this will be another way to navigate through the blog. Do you think this is something you would try on your blog? I would love to see it if you do!!

• Mrs. Coe July 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I so love this idea. You are fantastic.
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

• Mrs. Adcock July 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh wow!!! I am in love with your blog!!! I found so many cool things because of this nifty little tool.

• Mrs. Inji's Class July 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

wow!!! i would so support this idea!!! it is a very quick way of finding things than having to actually read through everything:))) thank you so much:)

• Teacher Tam July 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

What a great idea! I love it.

• Grade ONEderful July 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

That is SO cool. Thanks.

❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

• Hope King July 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for posting! This is such a great idea! I am new to the blog world and all of these tips are super useful!

Hope King

• Annie Moffatt July 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

You are my blogging hero!!

• Littlest Learners July 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Just when I think you've thought of it all. 🙂

Ironically, I've been working on a way to catalog all my themes and products using blogger. It's what I was up doing last night. I think you are onto something awesome here. I can't wait to play around with it. I'll keep you posted!!!

❤Jodi from…
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

• Anonymous July 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I think this is an awesome idea!! So much easier than using the search button on blogs! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

• Stacy K. Wolf July 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Oh, I LOVE this newest feature!!! I think it needs to be mandantory 🙂 I will be trying this on my blog too! I love all your helpful tidbits!

✿ Stacy
    Land of Aha-Z!
    The Wolf’s Den

• thepolkadotowl July 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Find it Fast is fabulous!!! It's like a Pinterest for your personal offerings. I absolutely love it! 🙂

• Ana July 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I have used this button but with my tags. It is a great idea to link it with the new gadget.
    thanks
    Ana

• Ms. Male July 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Kristin, you always impress me. What a great idea!

A Day in the Life of a 2nd Grade Teacher

• Miss Murphy July 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Such a great idea, Kristen! This is so helpful!
    Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Kayla

• Jodi July 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm

This is a fabulous idea! If I find time, I'm totally going to play around with this. Thanks for sharing!

❀Jodi
    Fun In First

• Littlest Learners July 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

OK…so I spent naptime playing around with this and am so so excited. Quick question if you have time. I love how your images are large and next to each other. Mine came out smaller. Did you need to do something special? Here's a link to the page I'm working on to show you what I mean.

Thanks, Jodi

• oh' boy July 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

have I told you I {PUFFY} HEART LOVE YOU….welll if not

I {PUFFY} HEART LOVE YOU!!!

• Ms.M July 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Where do you find this stuff and get these ideas! Wow you are fantastic. I am going to have to find a new and better word to describe you because fantastic doesn't cover it anymore.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Amy July 28, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Coolest. Thing. EVER.

Amy @ First Things First

• Mrs. Morris July 28, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I would love to see a video tutorial on this. I am having trouble.

Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

• Anonymous July 29, 2011 at 1:37 am
  • YearntoLearn July 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Kristen,
    This is off topic, but I'm having an issue with my new posts not showing in my dashboard or Reader. They post on my blog, but don't update and show for those following me.
    I have a feedburner gadget on my blog and my newest post shows there. I've tried scheduling a post or doing it automatically and both times the new post does not display in the dashboard or reader. I know others have had the same issue (Adrienne at Wiggin's World did a post about it too).

Denise
    Yearn to Learn Blog

• Kristen July 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Hey YearntoLearn, I'm headed over to your blog to talk to you!

• Dana July 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I love the "Find it Fast"! It works great!

• Do you and your colleagues use a team drive in school?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My teammate set one up for us last year and it is the best! We can store all of our standards, assessments, field trip forms, lesson ideas...so many things to keep us all on track.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only part I don’t love?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There’s no option to color code folders the way you can in your personal google drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But...there is a different way to make the folders stand out and easy to find! I just added an emoji to each one to make everything a little more visual.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It’s really easy to do and it adds a little pop of color to make those gray folders easier to navigate! I put the link to an emoji site in my profile, in case you’d like to try this on your computer (https://emojipedia.org).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing some google fonts that would make awesome titles for different units!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The name for each font is in parentheses. To add the fonts to your docs and slides go to font, choose “more fonts...”, type in the name of the font you would like, select it, and then click ok!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Would you like to find more fun google fonts? If you go to the google fonts site you can search over 900 different fonts for your drive! I added the link to the site in my profile if you’d like to try it out (https://fonts.google.com).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite fonts for titles in google? Mine is Oswald Bold!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Using Google Slides for field trip groups this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is was one of those 🤦‍♀️ moments for me this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀In the past, I would ALWAYS fly into work on the day of a field trip and frantically write chaperone names and student groups on the whiteboard...while thinking of all the other things I had to do that morning before we left. Very stressful.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year, I started setting up a Google slide with my chaperone names and student groups the night before. I just add a little photo of our destination for interest, then make squares for “sticky notes” with all of the group information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves so much time on the morning of the field trip...I just turn on the tv and display the slide for my students (and parents!) as they come into class. It frees me up for other last minute details I need to do before we leave...and it spares my chaperones from my awful writing on the board!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Slightly related: the second pic is our destination this week and it is usually a blast to see my city kids in the forest!! But it’s supposed to be 36 degrees and raining that day, uggghhhhh.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to organize your field trips? Do you have any tips we can learn from you?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #googleslides #googledrive #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Mother’s Day trinket trays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This was such a fun and easy project! I found several tutorials on Pinterest for this craft. We used mason jar lids (two for each student...and they could make them for anyone they would like to celebrate: mothers, grandmothers, aunts, fathers).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We painted the outer and inner rims of the lids. Then we traced a template and cut out circles of scrapbook paper to place inside the bottom of the mason jar lid.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀SO easy and my students were really proud of their gifts for their families!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please swipe if you’d like to see more of their designs...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#mothersdaycraft #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • The best thing I have done for myself this school year?Well, it’s really thanks to my sister @fashioncrazelearningdays. We were on spring break and she suggested deleting our gmail apps on our phones, so we wouldn’t be tempted to check work email while on vacation.And I felt so free!! I mean, I feel like I am CONSTANTLY checking my work email...in line at the grocery store, waiting for dinner to finish cooking, right before I go to sleep (never good to do that).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So even though I’m back from break, I’ve left my app off of my phone. I check my email frequently at school and throughout the evening when I work on my computer.But it’s such a relief to know when I power off my laptop, the email checking is done for the day too.It helps wrap up a work day that could truly never end...and I know you all know what I mean!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Is this something you already do? Do you have any ways you like to make the job have an ending each day? Please share with us!#teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Google Drive shortcuts!!! Ok, this one is really awesome.So it turns out there are a ton of shortcuts to save you time when navigating through your docs! If you click on a doc in your Drive, then use one of the keyboard shortcuts, it will get you moving, creating, and sharing even faster!Here are a few examples:You can click enter or o to open your doc, p to preview it before opening, . to share, and n to rename!! (These are my faves!). To access all of the shortcuts, head to the gear at the top right hand side of your Drive. Then choose “keyboard shortcuts” and you can see all the keys you can use to save time!What’s your favorite Google Drive shortcut?#google #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram