Going on a vacation–and so is my blog!

July 4, 2011

Going on a vacation–and so is my blog!

July 4, 2011

We’re off to the mountains for vacation! We’ll be hiking a bit, shopping, but not camping (we’re not that rugged! We need wifi and a dvd player on our vacay!).

My blog is actually going on a little vacation too–it’s headed over to Barrow’s Hodgepodge for a few days! I’m going to be a guest blogger on Mechele’s blog from Tuesday ’til Friday!

You have to check out her blog, she shares so many wonderful ideas… from her thoughts on two book studies, to organizational labels, to cool classroom ideas (I loved seeing her student work samples in their ABC Summer Countdown!).

So…Ladybug’s Teacher Files is headed over to visit at Barrow’s Hodgepodge for a series of video tutorials. The topic??

This series will be for anyone interested in starting a classroom blog as a website resource for students and parents, separate from their teaching blog. It will also (hopefully) be helpful to those just starting to blog, or even those who haven’t yet started, but have been thinking of making a blog.

The first four videos will be featured on Mechele’s blog, Barrow’s Hodgepodge. The rest of the series will be shared here, on Ladybug’s Teacher Files. I will be sharing a range of tips from basic starting tips to some more techy tricks I’ve used on my own classroom blog. I hope it’s something you’d like to check out! Happy Fourth of July, I will talk to you all later!!

• liam July 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm

so exciting! I look forward to seeing your hints for making a classroom blog. Any chance you can throw in some suggestions for schools that do not have regular access to computers? My kids generally don't have computers at home and extremely limited access in the school…I'd hate for that to stop us!

And thanks for the hint to check out Barrow's Hodgepodge. I will have to add it to my blogroll, also!

Liam

• Pat's Paper Passion July 5, 2011 at 12:32 am

Happy vacationing…this is the first summer I won't be taking any BIG trips…

Have you used kidblog.org? Each kid needs a password which I like…

Pat

A Time to Share & Create

• Sheri July 5, 2011 at 12:41 am

Have a wonderful vacation!! Thank you for all you do! I can't wait to watch the videos!
    Blessings,
    Sheri :o)

• Kristen July 5, 2011 at 1:04 am

Liam, I will have to think about that, that is a tough situation!

Pat, I hope you are having a nice summer vacation! I would love to try that blog with my class!! I used to use a different kid-friendly blogger (through epals) for reader's response and LOVED it, but it's not available anymore. We don't blog with blogger, I just use it in lieu of our class website. 🙂

Sheri, thanks very much! I hope you have a wonderful holiday!!

• Ms.M July 5, 2011 at 1:52 am

You will be missed. Enjoy your vacation. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog July 5, 2011 at 5:07 am

Enjoy!!

♥Jenaya
    Lesson Plan Diva

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram