Tutorial: Searching through all those blogs…

June 14, 2011

Tutorial: Searching through all those blogs…

June 14, 2011
As I was searching around the internet tonight for a nice activity for Flag Day tomorrow, I started to think…

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a way to search through all of the fabulous blogs I follow?

I mean, I would definitely find an awesome idea on a teaching blog, rather than wasting tons of time sifting through websites.

And you know, all this time I thought there wasn’t a way to search the blogs I follow. But you know what? There is!!

And it involves Google Reader.

(If I wasn’t so tired from our fieldtrip today I would add a little gold shiny halo-type thing around that graphic!)

Do you read blogs through Google Reader? I don’t, because I am so used to reading them on my Dashboard. And I have a hard time with change. But I may have to convert now…

Turns out, searching is a snap using the reader. The default is set to search all of the blogs you follow already. You can see the search feature in the image below where I typed “flag day”:

And it gets even better–you can search specific blogs! So, I can type in “flag day” and search for posts on TBA, for instance:

Cool, right?

I hope I’m not the only one who didn’t know this. Please tell me I’m not.

I know the countless hours spent on report cards, assessments, and other tedious paperwork are taking their toll, but I was psyched about this!!

Back to my Flag Day search. I’ll try to share what we end up doing tomorrow 🙂

• Alisha June 14, 2011 at 1:00 am

I only read my blogs in google reader! It is amazing! I do still add blogs or "follow" them to my dashboard, just because I know its nice to see who is following you and see the number going up! But I have to say, I have never actually looked at a blog in dashboard. Also, I am able to read on my google reader on my iphone when I'm bored at a meeting, etc:)

• Erica Bohrer June 14, 2011 at 1:03 am

Thanks for sharing Kristen. I was going to email you and see if you knew of a better way to follow blogs. I follow over 100 and I don't have the time to click on every post.
    I have my students illustrate Flag Day themed poems and we do a writing prompt I got from a book about designing your own flag.
    Erica Bohrer's First Grade

• Jenn Bates June 14, 2011 at 1:03 am

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Leave it to you to find another cool blog feature. If I wasn't so tired from cleaning my house today I would get down on my knees and bow to you 😉 Sorry to hear you are still in school. The end must be near, right?
    Jenn

• Jill June 14, 2011 at 1:08 am

I think Google Reader is awesome! You can read everyone's posts in their entirety with pictures and I also love the app on my phone. I did know that you could search (because I was just searching for the Chutes and Ladders math game that I remembered reading about a long time ago) but I did not know that you could search specific blogs! Thanks for sharing!!

Magnificent Multiagers!

• quiltwoman June 14, 2011 at 1:15 am

So, I use Reader and have NEVER noticed the search feature before…what does that say? Very cool! Thanks for the tip!

• Kristen June 14, 2011 at 1:36 am

Thanks Ladies! Alisha, I'm definitely reading them in the reader now!!

Erica, thanks for the flag day idea! 🙂

Jenn, you are too funny! I felt kinda silly posting about it because I thought I should have already known about this! The kids have 4 more days and then we have a week of workshops…it's winding down fast 🙂

Jill and quiltwoman, thanks for the kind comments and for reading!

• Jessica June 14, 2011 at 1:42 am

Your tips are always very useful. I did not know about the search button on Google reader. Keep posting all of your awesome tips.

Jovial Jessica

• Ashley June 14, 2011 at 1:46 am

I didn't know that! Wow! Thanks for the info- love what you post!!!

• Ashley June 14, 2011 at 1:48 am

Thank you so much!!! OH my goodness, I have been thinking that having the ability to search all the blogs st once would make blog world fantastic! You just made my day!! 🙂
    Ashley

• Hadar June 14, 2011 at 2:08 am

I used to be resistant to reading blogs on google reader because it didn't feel "real" but then I started giving myself migraines trying to catch up with all the blog posts! Reading them on google reader is SO much easier, and if I see a blog post I really like {like yours, for instance ;)} I right click and open the post so it feels real again. Am I crazy? maybe a little, but definitely more sane with google reader! haha happy last week of school!

Hadar

• You have made my day. I have often thought the same thing and I only read blogs through my dashboard. It is time for a change! Thank you so much for sharing this information.
    Jenea
    Kindergarten Teacher

• Rebecca Rojas June 14, 2011 at 2:18 am

I love it! You continue to amaze me with your knowledge and expertise. In the last two days I have learned three new things from your blog: how to add numbers to my comments, how to create a favicon, and now how to search multiple blogs. Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

• Jonelle Bell June 14, 2011 at 2:20 am

I am following 315 blogs in my Google reader!! You can also put blogs into categories, star items, make notes and it even recommends blogs you might like to follow. I didn't realize you could also search. Thanks for your post!
    Jonelle
    A Place Called Kindergarten

• Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 2:26 am

Kristen-

You are way ahead of the times! Or maybe I'm way behind the times-I've never even used google reader! It has been on my to do list to look it up along with a million other things-thanks for sharing, now I'm going to go and "look it up"!

Shannon

• Madison June 14, 2011 at 7:38 am

Wow. Google reader is my new best friend. Thanks.

• Melanie - From the Pond June 14, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thank you! That is great 🙂 I love TBA but I get swamped with posts on my dashboard and it is hard to see stuff from other blogs….this may solve the problem 🙂

• Julie June 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

You rock! I haven't been making frequent stops at Google Reader but I will now. I usually just use the dashboard but that is getting very overwhelming. Thanks for the tip and always sharing with your buddies!
    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Kori June 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I read all my blogs through Google Reader! It's nice but you have to click on the title of the blog if you want to leave/read comments. Also if you want to follow Linky parties cuz you won't see all the link ups.

• kdveiten June 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Thanks so much for this awesome tip!! I already use google reader to keep up with most of the blogs that I follow. What a great find!

• Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

This tip is awesome! I love google reader and this will make me love it even more. Thank you for your tips. I am new to blogging and find all of them very helpful!

Danielle
    Toadally Awesome in Kindergarten

• Amy June 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I personally love google reader! The search feature is absolutely amazing! But I also like to go to the blogs themselves quite a bit because there's a bit more "flavor" than the plain white email-esque feeling google reader offers.

Amy

• Marisa June 17, 2011 at 12:27 am

Thank you so much for all of your helpful tips! I'm new to blogging and it helps me so much. You're amazing.

Just getting started but check me out. Thanks again!

Marisa

• Mel D June 17, 2011 at 5:42 am

I just heart you! Thank you so much for making my life so much easier! YOU ARE THE BEST!

Mel D
    Oh the Places We’ll Go

• Annie Moffatt June 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Can I tell you how much I LOVE your blog??? You have such GREAT videos! Thank you for sharing your great ideas! Just posted you on my blog roll and I hope others find your great site as well!!
    Annie

• Deedee Wills June 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love this feature AND your blog! You are like a desk reference for my many technical wonderings!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thanks so much you guys! You made my day after a long, wild end of the year!!! :/ You are the best 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Annie, thanks for adding me to your blogroll, I'm adding you right now–your work is incredible!!!

• Tammy June 20, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I have learned alot from you! Thank you so much! I searched your blog for a tutorial on how to create a button! I am new to blogging so I appreciate your blog!!
    Tammy
    Live Love Laugh Everyday In Kindergarten

• Mary July 5, 2011 at 3:32 am

I love google reader. Thanks for sharing that information. I was also wondering if you maybe could do a tutorial on how to make or grab a button (for example donorschoose.org) so that it links to your project. I use a mac and I have only found tutorials on pc's.

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram