Tutorial: Searching through all those blogs…

June 14, 2011

Tutorial: Searching through all those blogs…

June 14, 2011
As I was searching around the internet tonight for a nice activity for Flag Day tomorrow, I started to think…

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a way to search through all of the fabulous blogs I follow?

I mean, I would definitely find an awesome idea on a teaching blog, rather than wasting tons of time sifting through websites.

And you know, all this time I thought there wasn’t a way to search the blogs I follow. But you know what? There is!!

And it involves Google Reader.

(If I wasn’t so tired from our fieldtrip today I would add a little gold shiny halo-type thing around that graphic!)

Do you read blogs through Google Reader? I don’t, because I am so used to reading them on my Dashboard. And I have a hard time with change. But I may have to convert now…

Turns out, searching is a snap using the reader. The default is set to search all of the blogs you follow already. You can see the search feature in the image below where I typed “flag day”:

And it gets even better–you can search specific blogs! So, I can type in “flag day” and search for posts on TBA, for instance:

Cool, right?

I hope I’m not the only one who didn’t know this. Please tell me I’m not.

I know the countless hours spent on report cards, assessments, and other tedious paperwork are taking their toll, but I was psyched about this!!

Back to my Flag Day search. I’ll try to share what we end up doing tomorrow 🙂

• Alisha June 14, 2011 at 1:00 am

I only read my blogs in google reader! It is amazing! I do still add blogs or "follow" them to my dashboard, just because I know its nice to see who is following you and see the number going up! But I have to say, I have never actually looked at a blog in dashboard. Also, I am able to read on my google reader on my iphone when I'm bored at a meeting, etc:)

• Erica Bohrer June 14, 2011 at 1:03 am

Thanks for sharing Kristen. I was going to email you and see if you knew of a better way to follow blogs. I follow over 100 and I don't have the time to click on every post.
    I have my students illustrate Flag Day themed poems and we do a writing prompt I got from a book about designing your own flag.
    Erica Bohrer's First Grade

• Jenn Bates June 14, 2011 at 1:03 am

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Leave it to you to find another cool blog feature. If I wasn't so tired from cleaning my house today I would get down on my knees and bow to you 😉 Sorry to hear you are still in school. The end must be near, right?
    Jenn

• Jill June 14, 2011 at 1:08 am

I think Google Reader is awesome! You can read everyone's posts in their entirety with pictures and I also love the app on my phone. I did know that you could search (because I was just searching for the Chutes and Ladders math game that I remembered reading about a long time ago) but I did not know that you could search specific blogs! Thanks for sharing!!

Magnificent Multiagers!

• quiltwoman June 14, 2011 at 1:15 am

So, I use Reader and have NEVER noticed the search feature before…what does that say? Very cool! Thanks for the tip!

• Kristen June 14, 2011 at 1:36 am

Thanks Ladies! Alisha, I'm definitely reading them in the reader now!!

Erica, thanks for the flag day idea! 🙂

Jenn, you are too funny! I felt kinda silly posting about it because I thought I should have already known about this! The kids have 4 more days and then we have a week of workshops…it's winding down fast 🙂

Jill and quiltwoman, thanks for the kind comments and for reading!

• Jessica June 14, 2011 at 1:42 am

Your tips are always very useful. I did not know about the search button on Google reader. Keep posting all of your awesome tips.

Jovial Jessica

• Ashley June 14, 2011 at 1:46 am

I didn't know that! Wow! Thanks for the info- love what you post!!!

• Ashley June 14, 2011 at 1:48 am

Thank you so much!!! OH my goodness, I have been thinking that having the ability to search all the blogs st once would make blog world fantastic! You just made my day!! 🙂
    Ashley

• Hadar June 14, 2011 at 2:08 am

I used to be resistant to reading blogs on google reader because it didn't feel "real" but then I started giving myself migraines trying to catch up with all the blog posts! Reading them on google reader is SO much easier, and if I see a blog post I really like {like yours, for instance ;)} I right click and open the post so it feels real again. Am I crazy? maybe a little, but definitely more sane with google reader! haha happy last week of school!

Hadar

• You have made my day. I have often thought the same thing and I only read blogs through my dashboard. It is time for a change! Thank you so much for sharing this information.
    Jenea
    Kindergarten Teacher

• Rebecca Rojas June 14, 2011 at 2:18 am

I love it! You continue to amaze me with your knowledge and expertise. In the last two days I have learned three new things from your blog: how to add numbers to my comments, how to create a favicon, and now how to search multiple blogs. Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

• Jonelle Bell June 14, 2011 at 2:20 am

I am following 315 blogs in my Google reader!! You can also put blogs into categories, star items, make notes and it even recommends blogs you might like to follow. I didn't realize you could also search. Thanks for your post!
    Jonelle
    A Place Called Kindergarten

• Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 2:26 am

Kristen-

You are way ahead of the times! Or maybe I'm way behind the times-I've never even used google reader! It has been on my to do list to look it up along with a million other things-thanks for sharing, now I'm going to go and "look it up"!

Shannon

• Madison June 14, 2011 at 7:38 am

Wow. Google reader is my new best friend. Thanks.

• Melanie - From the Pond June 14, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thank you! That is great 🙂 I love TBA but I get swamped with posts on my dashboard and it is hard to see stuff from other blogs….this may solve the problem 🙂

• Julie June 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

You rock! I haven't been making frequent stops at Google Reader but I will now. I usually just use the dashboard but that is getting very overwhelming. Thanks for the tip and always sharing with your buddies!
    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Kori June 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I read all my blogs through Google Reader! It's nice but you have to click on the title of the blog if you want to leave/read comments. Also if you want to follow Linky parties cuz you won't see all the link ups.

• kdveiten June 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Thanks so much for this awesome tip!! I already use google reader to keep up with most of the blogs that I follow. What a great find!

• Anonymous June 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

This tip is awesome! I love google reader and this will make me love it even more. Thank you for your tips. I am new to blogging and find all of them very helpful!

Danielle
    Toadally Awesome in Kindergarten

• Amy June 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I personally love google reader! The search feature is absolutely amazing! But I also like to go to the blogs themselves quite a bit because there's a bit more "flavor" than the plain white email-esque feeling google reader offers.

Amy

• Marisa June 17, 2011 at 12:27 am

Thank you so much for all of your helpful tips! I'm new to blogging and it helps me so much. You're amazing.

Just getting started but check me out. Thanks again!

Marisa

• Mel D June 17, 2011 at 5:42 am

I just heart you! Thank you so much for making my life so much easier! YOU ARE THE BEST!

Mel D
    Oh the Places We’ll Go

• Annie Moffatt June 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Can I tell you how much I LOVE your blog??? You have such GREAT videos! Thank you for sharing your great ideas! Just posted you on my blog roll and I hope others find your great site as well!!
    Annie

• Deedee Wills June 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love this feature AND your blog! You are like a desk reference for my many technical wonderings!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thanks so much you guys! You made my day after a long, wild end of the year!!! :/ You are the best 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Annie, thanks for adding me to your blogroll, I'm adding you right now–your work is incredible!!!

• Tammy June 20, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I have learned alot from you! Thank you so much! I searched your blog for a tutorial on how to create a button! I am new to blogging so I appreciate your blog!!
    Tammy
    Live Love Laugh Everyday In Kindergarten

• Mary July 5, 2011 at 3:32 am

I love google reader. Thanks for sharing that information. I was also wondering if you maybe could do a tutorial on how to make or grab a button (for example donorschoose.org) so that it links to your project. I use a mac and I have only found tutorials on pc's.

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram