Round Leveled Labels for book bins {printable}

June 26, 2011

Round Leveled Labels for book bins {printable}

June 26, 2011

Yesterday, I posted about some new labels I’ve been working on. These are for the leveled part of my classroom library.

We also have a genre section, but it is in need of LOTS of work. So that’s a job for the coming weeks. I will be sharing those labels as soon as I finish them, I can’t wait to be done that part!
Some wonderful readers have been asking questions about our classroom library, so I wanted to share some more information really quickly. If you’d like to skip to the round leveled labels file, they are at the bottom of this post 🙂

I began the Leveled Library this year because our school was fortunate enough to receive books for a leveled library (we are officially implementing Reader’s Workshop as a district next year–yay!). I had always had a semblance of a genre section, but I decided to add a separate leveled section as well.

So, my classroom library is primarily organized by genres. The newer leveled section takes up about two bookcases. Our levels are based on guided reading levels (Fountas and Pinnell).

Since I teach ELL newcomers in 4th and 5th grade, our levels range from pre-A all the way to fifth grade level…so I have books from A to W. I like to have books available for each level, for those students looking to read at their level. I also love having the genre section, so my newcomer students have a lot of choice and aren’t only concerned with level, but interest as well. It’s a nice balance.

All of the labels in our library have a picture and/or number to help sort the books, though the numbers are for the genre section (not my original idea, but works so well–more about that in the coming weeks–sneak preview to the right!).

As for the clipart, I did not make any of them–they are from Microsoft clipart…I love how they are so bright and clear! They have a nice selection of clipart.

The leveled books just have the letter graphic, on the book and on the book bin itself.

I hope I explained that clearly–I’m looking out the window at a pile of bark mulch that’s waiting for me, so I’m flying through this!! Please let me know if you have any more questions about the library. I will be sharing more about it as I sort and organize my books further.

To download the square labels for the bins and the stickers for the books, please visit this previous entry: Leveled Library.

The file for the round labels is below. They are in a Word document, so you can resize as needed. Thanks for reading! 🙂

• Mrs. Wilson June 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Thanks SO much for sharing all of your hard work, they are GREATLY appreciated!!

• Lauren Morse June 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I love the idea of using numbers for all books that aren't leveled. Why didn't I think of that? That would be so much easier for my firsties than trying to match up dot sticker patterns. Now I just have to decide if I'm motivated enough to change out all of those stickers for numbers? Maybe if I made the numbers large enough I could just stick them on top of the dot stickers (sorry! I'm thinking out loud!)
    Just Add Clipart

• Mrs. Santillana June 26, 2011 at 7:52 pm

thank you so much for sharing everything 🙂 i have also gained a lot of leveled readers from a garage sale (from a previous teacher for only a few bucks!!) and I used your labels to level them. i am also going to arrange my other picture books and chapter books into categories, so i can't wait to see your labels!

• Christina June 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for sharing!!! I like these round labels sooo much I am going to "borrow" the idea and make some genre ones for my library too!! Thanks for the idea, hope you don't mind!
    Christina

• Ms.M June 27, 2011 at 2:55 am

I love the new round look. Thank you. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Candace Orris June 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your labels. Sorting my books is something I need to do for next year!

candace-orris.blogspot.com

• Melissa Currin June 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Kristen,
    I love the labels. I downloaded the square ones and would love to grab the round labels- I can't get the link to work. Is anyone else having trouble?

Life's a Teach!!

• Chrissy June 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

OMGosh, my blog is in your sidebar! You just made my day!!!

ReadWriteSing

• Jill June 29, 2011 at 5:45 am

The round labels are aesthetically pleasing!! Thank you for sharing. 🙂

Magnificent Multiagers!

• ChristiS July 15, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Thanks so much for these!!

• Sandy Pence July 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Love the round labels and they match my polka dot theme perfectly!! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

• Anonymous July 21, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Just came across your site and I'm swooning : )
    Where can I find your genre lables, like your Reptiles example?
    I'm thrilled!
    Amy O

• Ms. Rachel July 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Im excited for genre labels, Im trying to think of the best way to organize my books that easy for my kiddos to put away.

• Mrs. I August 30, 2011 at 3:21 am

These are great! Would you be willing to make an 'aa' one? That is what we call the level before A. Thanks for sharing!!

Cathy I.
    mrsirwinsclass@gmail.com
    Mrs. I's Class

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram