Reference Book Labels {printable}

June 18, 2011

Reference Book Labels {printable}

June 18, 2011
I know summer is a popular time for organizing classroom libraries, so I want to share some library items this season. I’ve worked on my class library a lot over the past couple of years, but it is still a work in progress.
I added a new section this year, in addition to the leveled library and genre section–a reference shelf!

It’s this really cool wire rack that the books all face front in–I got it from a teaching friend. It’s different than the rest of my plastic shelving, so I thought it would work well for a separate section of our library.

The labels are made in the same format as the Leveled Library Labels (you can get labels for letters A to Z if you click on the green link).
I fold the picture half of the label on the front of the book…
And the back half of the label has a spot for your name…
The labels are 1.33″ x 4″. This size works well for larger, thicker books as well. I also tape them down with packing tape (you can just see it if you look closely) which makes them pretty permanent!
I hope this is something you can use in your classroom as well!
I’m sorry I’ve been so behind in posting this week–it was a wild end of the year. The kids just finished yesterday, but we have an extra week of workshops this year (we are being trained in Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop, yay!). Looking forward to June 23 (when I am officially done for the summer) and reading all of your blogs A LOT!!!
Thanks so much for reading, the file is below:

• Anonymous June 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Kristen, I tried downloading the labels but it says the document is not available.

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Teacher-to-be…thanks for letting me know. My google docs keep defaulting to private rather than share with everyone, aargh! I fixed it, thanks again!

• Nicole Shelby June 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Kristen,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for posting all of your resources. I know that you work hard and spend a lot of time developing them. I think it is AWESOME that you are willing to take the extra time to share and post the things you created. Thank you for your willingness to help teachers that follow your blog. You are impacting not only your students, but students across the country. 🙂

• Dana June 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Awesome! Thanks! This is the perfect example of why YOU should win the Really Good Stuff contest! 🙂

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Mrs. Saoud June 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love these and will add them to my books this summer. My parent volunteer came in to school for months: classifying, categorizing, leveling, and labeling my library. I look forward to each new installment you make for labels (hint hint, clue clue). 🙂

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Nicole, wow! Thank you so much for the sweet words. I'm overemotional this week and what you said made me teary!! Thanks for reading and I'm so glad you can use some things. Happy weekend to you!

Dana, thanks!! But there are WAY too many amazing blogs out there. I'm just totally psyched about the nom, that's enough for me!

Cheryl–there will be more!! I'm going to fix up my genre labels next (I have too many new categories now). I've been dying to share them on here, but they need a lot of work first. It will be one of my first big summer projects, I promise!

• Jess June 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thank you so much! You have helped me completely reorganize my classroom and classroom library. I just finished labeling and organizing my library. I know my students will benefit greatly from this organization and be able to pick good-fit books for themselves. You are an inspiring teacher! Thanks again!

• Julie June 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I can't wait to see all your labels! When I saw that contest I thought of you!! You rock!

Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Carla Patch June 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for reading my mind. These are exactly what I needed to do the next step in reorganizing my library. Thanks for your generosity.

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much!
    Lesson Plan Diva

• Mrs. Santillana June 19, 2011 at 3:35 am

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT STUFF!! I have reorganzied my library 🙂 and am now working on my math stations 🙂

• Rachelle June 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Kristen,

You are so amazing! I feel like I know you! {I call you my blogging buddy}. You are so sweet for sharing all of your AWESOME resources and printables. You are the technology guru. Do you like your new nick-name? 😉
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Kristen June 19, 2011 at 8:31 pm

You're too sweet, just left you a message on your blog!

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram