Reference Book Labels {printable}

June 18, 2011

Reference Book Labels {printable}

June 18, 2011
I know summer is a popular time for organizing classroom libraries, so I want to share some library items this season. I’ve worked on my class library a lot over the past couple of years, but it is still a work in progress.
I added a new section this year, in addition to the leveled library and genre section–a reference shelf!

It’s this really cool wire rack that the books all face front in–I got it from a teaching friend. It’s different than the rest of my plastic shelving, so I thought it would work well for a separate section of our library.

The labels are made in the same format as the Leveled Library Labels (you can get labels for letters A to Z if you click on the green link).
I fold the picture half of the label on the front of the book…
And the back half of the label has a spot for your name…
The labels are 1.33″ x 4″. This size works well for larger, thicker books as well. I also tape them down with packing tape (you can just see it if you look closely) which makes them pretty permanent!
I hope this is something you can use in your classroom as well!
I’m sorry I’ve been so behind in posting this week–it was a wild end of the year. The kids just finished yesterday, but we have an extra week of workshops this year (we are being trained in Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop, yay!). Looking forward to June 23 (when I am officially done for the summer) and reading all of your blogs A LOT!!!
Thanks so much for reading, the file is below:

• Anonymous June 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Kristen, I tried downloading the labels but it says the document is not available.

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Teacher-to-be…thanks for letting me know. My google docs keep defaulting to private rather than share with everyone, aargh! I fixed it, thanks again!

• Nicole Shelby June 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Kristen,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for posting all of your resources. I know that you work hard and spend a lot of time developing them. I think it is AWESOME that you are willing to take the extra time to share and post the things you created. Thank you for your willingness to help teachers that follow your blog. You are impacting not only your students, but students across the country. 🙂

• Dana June 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Awesome! Thanks! This is the perfect example of why YOU should win the Really Good Stuff contest! 🙂

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Mrs. Saoud June 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love these and will add them to my books this summer. My parent volunteer came in to school for months: classifying, categorizing, leveling, and labeling my library. I look forward to each new installment you make for labels (hint hint, clue clue). 🙂

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Nicole, wow! Thank you so much for the sweet words. I'm overemotional this week and what you said made me teary!! Thanks for reading and I'm so glad you can use some things. Happy weekend to you!

Dana, thanks!! But there are WAY too many amazing blogs out there. I'm just totally psyched about the nom, that's enough for me!

Cheryl–there will be more!! I'm going to fix up my genre labels next (I have too many new categories now). I've been dying to share them on here, but they need a lot of work first. It will be one of my first big summer projects, I promise!

• Jess June 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thank you so much! You have helped me completely reorganize my classroom and classroom library. I just finished labeling and organizing my library. I know my students will benefit greatly from this organization and be able to pick good-fit books for themselves. You are an inspiring teacher! Thanks again!

• Julie June 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I can't wait to see all your labels! When I saw that contest I thought of you!! You rock!

Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Carla Patch June 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for reading my mind. These are exactly what I needed to do the next step in reorganizing my library. Thanks for your generosity.

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much!
    Lesson Plan Diva

• Mrs. Santillana June 19, 2011 at 3:35 am

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT STUFF!! I have reorganzied my library 🙂 and am now working on my math stations 🙂

• Rachelle June 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Kristen,

You are so amazing! I feel like I know you! {I call you my blogging buddy}. You are so sweet for sharing all of your AWESOME resources and printables. You are the technology guru. Do you like your new nick-name? 😉
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Kristen June 19, 2011 at 8:31 pm

You're too sweet, just left you a message on your blog!

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram