Reference Book Labels {printable}

June 18, 2011

Reference Book Labels {printable}

June 18, 2011
I know summer is a popular time for organizing classroom libraries, so I want to share some library items this season. I’ve worked on my class library a lot over the past couple of years, but it is still a work in progress.
I added a new section this year, in addition to the leveled library and genre section–a reference shelf!

It’s this really cool wire rack that the books all face front in–I got it from a teaching friend. It’s different than the rest of my plastic shelving, so I thought it would work well for a separate section of our library.

The labels are made in the same format as the Leveled Library Labels (you can get labels for letters A to Z if you click on the green link).
I fold the picture half of the label on the front of the book…
And the back half of the label has a spot for your name…
The labels are 1.33″ x 4″. This size works well for larger, thicker books as well. I also tape them down with packing tape (you can just see it if you look closely) which makes them pretty permanent!
I hope this is something you can use in your classroom as well!
I’m sorry I’ve been so behind in posting this week–it was a wild end of the year. The kids just finished yesterday, but we have an extra week of workshops this year (we are being trained in Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop, yay!). Looking forward to June 23 (when I am officially done for the summer) and reading all of your blogs A LOT!!!
Thanks so much for reading, the file is below:

• Anonymous June 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Kristen, I tried downloading the labels but it says the document is not available.

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Teacher-to-be…thanks for letting me know. My google docs keep defaulting to private rather than share with everyone, aargh! I fixed it, thanks again!

• Nicole Shelby June 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Kristen,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for posting all of your resources. I know that you work hard and spend a lot of time developing them. I think it is AWESOME that you are willing to take the extra time to share and post the things you created. Thank you for your willingness to help teachers that follow your blog. You are impacting not only your students, but students across the country. 🙂

• Dana June 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Awesome! Thanks! This is the perfect example of why YOU should win the Really Good Stuff contest! 🙂

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Mrs. Saoud June 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love these and will add them to my books this summer. My parent volunteer came in to school for months: classifying, categorizing, leveling, and labeling my library. I look forward to each new installment you make for labels (hint hint, clue clue). 🙂

• Kristen June 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Nicole, wow! Thank you so much for the sweet words. I'm overemotional this week and what you said made me teary!! Thanks for reading and I'm so glad you can use some things. Happy weekend to you!

Dana, thanks!! But there are WAY too many amazing blogs out there. I'm just totally psyched about the nom, that's enough for me!

Cheryl–there will be more!! I'm going to fix up my genre labels next (I have too many new categories now). I've been dying to share them on here, but they need a lot of work first. It will be one of my first big summer projects, I promise!

• Jess June 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thank you so much! You have helped me completely reorganize my classroom and classroom library. I just finished labeling and organizing my library. I know my students will benefit greatly from this organization and be able to pick good-fit books for themselves. You are an inspiring teacher! Thanks again!

• Julie June 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I can't wait to see all your labels! When I saw that contest I thought of you!! You rock!

Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Carla Patch June 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for reading my mind. These are exactly what I needed to do the next step in reorganizing my library. Thanks for your generosity.

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much!
    Lesson Plan Diva

• Mrs. Santillana June 19, 2011 at 3:35 am

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT STUFF!! I have reorganzied my library 🙂 and am now working on my math stations 🙂

• Rachelle June 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Kristen,

You are so amazing! I feel like I know you! {I call you my blogging buddy}. You are so sweet for sharing all of your AWESOME resources and printables. You are the technology guru. Do you like your new nick-name? 😉
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Kristen June 19, 2011 at 8:31 pm

You're too sweet, just left you a message on your blog!

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram