My Classroom Purchases {new color scheme}

June 30, 2011

My Classroom Purchases {new color scheme}

June 30, 2011
We’ve been out of school for a week now, so the back-to-school supplies are pretty limited around here. I’ve been living vicariously through all of your excellent purchases you’ve shared in the Classroom Shopping Linky Party {THANK YOU!!}.

There are still many days to enter, so stop on over if you’d like to share your shopping!

So far, my focus has been on a new classroom design. I’ve had the same basic color scheme for about three years now. Here are a few samples of the old color scheme…

My new color scheme inspiration is thanks to Krissy over at Teach Factory.com. I saw pictures of her classroom last year and fell in love with it. I asked her if I could share a couple of her pictures on here and she said yes!!

So, here are Krissy’s fantastic classroom design pictures…

Photo Source: TeachFactory.com
Photo Source: TeachFactory.com

Incredible, right? I LOVE the black bulletin boards with bright colors. There is no way I could make a display like the one above, but I do want to use the color schemes in my room for a change of pace. If you haven’t seen Krissy’s blog yet, you must check it out. Her creativity is limitless and she shares a ton of great items as well!

So, I think I can change my color scheme without spending *too* much money. So far, I’ve purchased new lamps and a scene setter.

Still need to find: New contact paper color for the tables (no more desks, eek!), black fabric for the bulletin boards, bright papers for my signs, and a color to spray paint my wicker chairs (you can see those above in the fifth photo).

Things I don’t have to buy: baskets and bins! I’m just making new labels for everything, to tie in with the new color scheme. And my old neon baskets for my math games/manipulatives library will tie in just fine with the new color scheme.

I’ve been online-ordering like mad, so I’ll be sure to share anything else I find! Thank you again to all those who joined the linky party, I learned so many new wonderful ideas from you!

So, are any of you changing your color scheme/classroom theme this year?

• Karen June 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Kristen,

Unless you really are tired of the blue on the wicker chairs, I think it goes with the new theme. Or you might paint half of them a new color. I love your inspiration! I'm changing my theme this year too. It's funny but I am more scared about changing that than just about anything!! I can't wait to see more pictures!

Karen @A Little Kinder told me so!

• Kristen June 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thanks Karen!! I end up having to retouch them each year. They're easy because I just spray paint them, so I thought I'd try something new maybe, but you are definitely right–they could stay as is!

• Julie June 30, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I LOVE those photos!! I have always done my room in blacks and beige's. I'm looking for a theme. I love the rocket!! The stars would fit right into my color scheme! I think your room is going to rock!!(or should I say rock et!)hehe!
    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• TeacherCarrie June 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm

How funny! After seeing her blog a week or so ago, decided to change my color theme from a light bright green and black to the whole black/white theme. But I bought fabric for my curtains that has a bright green, teal, blue, and yellow in it. So, those are actually going to be my complementary colors and pops of color around the room. 🙂 I would love to know where you get your black fabric once you get it. I bought flat bed sheets from Ikea when I had my green theme. But am not sure whether to do that again or just go to Joann's and get some black fabric.

• Kristen June 30, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Julie, I have always thought your room is gorgeous!! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Carrie, I will definitely let you know. I need to keep it cheap because I have two huge chalkboards to cover! :

• Ms.M June 30, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Darn! I was hopping that you were putting up your baskets for sale. 🙂 I will just have to keep looking.

I am not changing my color scheme but I believe I have mentioned to you that I will be serving 2 schools next year. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for me to try something new in the 2nd room.

I will definitely be sharing pictures when I get back in to the building. I am REALLY considering the contact paper on the tables deal. When you get your new one, would you be willing to share where you got it from and maybe even a tutorial on how you apply it?

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Ms.M June 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I don't know if your interested but last year I bought this Rocket Bulletin Board Set from Carson Dellosa. You can find it here: Rocket Bulleting Board Set
    It is cute but I don't know if it will fit into your color scheme.

Also if you do ever decide to sell your baskets, I would like to go on the record of being willing to purchase them. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Kristen June 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Hey Ms. M, I think it would be cool to try something in your second, new room and I can't wait to see it!!

You read my mind about the contact paper–I'm going to ask my sister to help me record a tutorial on it when we go back late July/early August to decorate (she doesn't know this yet, she won't be thrilled!).

And I will definitely think of you first if I decide to change my baskets out!!

Thanks for the link, can't wait to check it out 🙂

• SunnyDays June 30, 2011 at 6:38 pm

You are amazing. I've been trying to spruce up my bloggyness and your tech tips are incredible. Proudly adding your button to my humble little blog 🙂

• Mrs. Bee June 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

So cute!!

I'm changing my room to have a Bee theme (shocking, I know! lol) This will be the first real theme I've had in my classroom, the first few years I was just trying to stay afloat. lol. Should be fun!!!

Mrs. Bee
    Bee's KinderGarden

• Kristen June 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

SunnyDays–thanks!!! Mrs. Bee, the bee theme sounds so fun, I love to see everyone's themes. I could never figure out a good one for my older kids so I stick with a color theme, but I just love all the cute themes teachers use. Will you be sharing pics on your blog? I'd love to see them 🙂

• Erica Briley June 30, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Your classroom is so neat and organized! I love the calming color scheme! Thanks for posting pictures. I have a frog theme and even hang pinata's from my ceiling..I moved classrooms this year and took before and during pictures..I will post pics when I can finally take "finished product" pictures!

Erica

• Di July 1, 2011 at 1:43 am

WOW— AWESOME 🙂 I love it– I am addicted to your blog and all that I find from it!!! WOW 🙂

• Anonymous July 1, 2011 at 2:03 am

WOW!!! Your Blog is the best.
    I'm a french teacher from Canada and I'm always looking for new stuff, but I always have to creat because lots of blogs upload their files in PDF, but most of you files are in Words so I can translated them in French. Thank you soooo much!:)
    Bernice

• t. ulch July 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

I love your baskets! Do you remember where you got them? I am trying to re-vamp my library corner for next year. If you remember, please email me at tjulch@mpsomaha.og
    Thanks!

• Kristen July 1, 2011 at 2:24 am

hi, I'm sending you an email!

• Mrs. Mac July 1, 2011 at 3:53 am

Kristen,
    You can get a really NICE black (kona fabric) at Hancock Fabric, The best thing is, they often have it on sale and the black is a really rich, "real" black – I use it in my quilts all the time and it's lovely, lovely. I hope this helps! LisaFirst Class With Mrs. Mac

• Kristen July 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hey Lisa, thank you for the tip! I'm stopping by your blog, I have a question 🙂

• Miss Jasper July 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I would paint the chairs each a different one of the bright colors, pink, purple, green and yellow. It is nice that you can just spray paint them so if you get tired of them just change the color again. I love the look of your room.

• Mrs.Voss July 2, 2011 at 12:33 am

I do my room in bright colors with a black background, but the theme is actually Habitats… I have different areas of the room dedicated to a different habitat (ocean, pond, farm, jungle, desert). I don't have pictures because it is all in boxes ight now, but I will post some the end of July! Your room is very cool for older kids… I can come do your bulletin board and can definitely make you a rocket like that, are you close enough to TENNESSEE?? Thanks for all the ideas… I have used some of the classrooom theme stuff for my different "zones"!

• Anonymous July 2, 2011 at 4:15 am

Where did you get all the black contact paper??? I really want some!!! Awesome Room!!!

• Mrs. Pollard July 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I am going to do zebra print with bright green and hot pink in my room this year. I am so excited! It's always bothered me to just have random primary colors around my room so I'm going all out this year to make everything match my color theme.

• Kristen July 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Miss Jasper, I love that idea!

Mrs. Voss, lol, I am pretty far from Tennessee. I love your habitat idea, that must look so cool!

Anonymous, thanks! I got the black contact paper from Amazon.

Mrs. Pollard, I would LOVE to see your room when you finish, I love those colors together!!

• Melissa Freshwater July 2, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Baskets baskets I love your baskets- where did you get those Adorable baskets?
    Melissa

• Kristen July 2, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Melissa, they are from the Dollar Tree a few years back. They have held up really nicely!

• Mrs. Schroeder July 4, 2011 at 11:58 am

LOVE the new look of your classroom. I sure wish I could get in mine. I just added your button to my blog and I would love it if you would do the same for me. I also have been a follower for a long time:)

☮Monica
    The Schroeder Page

• SarahKay77 July 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I LOVE your room! I'm moving into a new room this year, and can't wait to change things up! Half my class will have had the room last year, so I want to be sure it looks like something fresh and new, even to them! Thank you for the many ideas! I love what we can do with paper, paint, and contact paper! (-:

• Erika December 28, 2011 at 1:53 am

Kristen,
    I've been browsing through all your old posts on this lazy vacation day and was wondering what the plastic drawers under the community supplies are for. Are they for the kids or you? They look like they are organized like a filing cabinet. I'm dying to know.
    2B Honey Bunch

• Heather Mix February 4, 2012 at 1:48 am

I love your room! The colors before are great and the colors you are wanting look great too. I am limited in changing the colors too much because the walls are painted a beautiful blue & yellow so that limits my change (which is okay because I would change it every year, lol).

Heather Mix
    An Interesting Mix

• Dawn April 4, 2012 at 1:19 am

How did you end up doing your black fabric? I'm looking for some for my own classroom. 🙂

Dawn

• missdee April 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Hello,
    I love your website and thank you for all of the information you give us. I was wondering what color is the blue that you use on the bulletin board and door? It clearly reminds me of the ocean. 🙂

• Anonymous July 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

This year I had a Movie theme and last year I had an Ocen theme. Needless to say my bins are mostly blue and red. I decided to change it up a bit and use black as my main color, add white polka dots for fun and create a theme around my favorite basketball team. So it's out with the blue and in with the new; red, black and polka dots will be my scheme with orange and yellow pops of color to HEAT up my room. 😉

• Do you and your colleagues use a team drive in school?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My teammate set one up for us last year and it is the best! We can store all of our standards, assessments, field trip forms, lesson ideas...so many things to keep us all on track.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only part I don’t love?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There’s no option to color code folders the way you can in your personal google drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But...there is a different way to make the folders stand out and easy to find! I just added an emoji to each one to make everything a little more visual.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It’s really easy to do and it adds a little pop of color to make those gray folders easier to navigate! I put the link to an emoji site in my profile, in case you’d like to try this on your computer (https://emojipedia.org).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing some google fonts that would make awesome titles for different units!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The name for each font is in parentheses. To add the fonts to your docs and slides go to font, choose “more fonts...”, type in the name of the font you would like, select it, and then click ok!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Would you like to find more fun google fonts? If you go to the google fonts site you can search over 900 different fonts for your drive! I added the link to the site in my profile if you’d like to try it out (https://fonts.google.com).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite fonts for titles in google? Mine is Oswald Bold!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Using Google Slides for field trip groups this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is was one of those 🤦‍♀️ moments for me this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀In the past, I would ALWAYS fly into work on the day of a field trip and frantically write chaperone names and student groups on the whiteboard...while thinking of all the other things I had to do that morning before we left. Very stressful.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year, I started setting up a Google slide with my chaperone names and student groups the night before. I just add a little photo of our destination for interest, then make squares for “sticky notes” with all of the group information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves so much time on the morning of the field trip...I just turn on the tv and display the slide for my students (and parents!) as they come into class. It frees me up for other last minute details I need to do before we leave...and it spares my chaperones from my awful writing on the board!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Slightly related: the second pic is our destination this week and it is usually a blast to see my city kids in the forest!! But it’s supposed to be 36 degrees and raining that day, uggghhhhh.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to organize your field trips? Do you have any tips we can learn from you?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #googleslides #googledrive #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Mother’s Day trinket trays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This was such a fun and easy project! I found several tutorials on Pinterest for this craft. We used mason jar lids (two for each student...and they could make them for anyone they would like to celebrate: mothers, grandmothers, aunts, fathers).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We painted the outer and inner rims of the lids. Then we traced a template and cut out circles of scrapbook paper to place inside the bottom of the mason jar lid.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀SO easy and my students were really proud of their gifts for their families!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please swipe if you’d like to see more of their designs...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#mothersdaycraft #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • The best thing I have done for myself this school year?Well, it’s really thanks to my sister @fashioncrazelearningdays. We were on spring break and she suggested deleting our gmail apps on our phones, so we wouldn’t be tempted to check work email while on vacation.And I felt so free!! I mean, I feel like I am CONSTANTLY checking my work email...in line at the grocery store, waiting for dinner to finish cooking, right before I go to sleep (never good to do that).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So even though I’m back from break, I’ve left my app off of my phone. I check my email frequently at school and throughout the evening when I work on my computer.But it’s such a relief to know when I power off my laptop, the email checking is done for the day too.It helps wrap up a work day that could truly never end...and I know you all know what I mean!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Is this something you already do? Do you have any ways you like to make the job have an ending each day? Please share with us!#teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Google Drive shortcuts!!! Ok, this one is really awesome.So it turns out there are a ton of shortcuts to save you time when navigating through your docs! If you click on a doc in your Drive, then use one of the keyboard shortcuts, it will get you moving, creating, and sharing even faster!Here are a few examples:You can click enter or o to open your doc, p to preview it before opening, . to share, and n to rename!! (These are my faves!). To access all of the shortcuts, head to the gear at the top right hand side of your Drive. Then choose “keyboard shortcuts” and you can see all the keys you can use to save time!What’s your favorite Google Drive shortcut?#google #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram