Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011

Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011
Have you seen these before? I’ve used them for a few years now and I love them!
They’re called Scene Setters…they’re these huge vinyl mural things that people use for parties.

And they are a wonderful way to add some color to your class, hide an unattractive area, or coordinate your room colors overall!

This ocean one is my favorite and has worked well with my blue classroom in the past (in two different classrooms).
This past year, I used the scene setter to cover the part above my windows…I have 6 windows with these weird, white tops, like this:

The sad thing is those white parts used to be glass as well, many years ago. That must have been so beautiful!

Anyhow, with the scene setter, the window looks like this instead:

Here are the six windows all together with the scene setters. I just hot glued them to the top…
I guess it’s kind of hard to tell now with the room all packed up, but it made a big difference in the color scheme!
I also used the scene setter in my closet where I store my math games. I think I have mentioned before how I removed the closet doors, so I could have an extra space to store games and manipulatives. Plus, with the doors off, I have to be neat and not hide any messes!

This is how the closet looks now, with the brick exposed:
But this is how it looked with the scene setter earlier this year:
As attached as I am to my ocean scene setter, I’m going to try something new next year, as I will be changing my color scheme to something new. I’m a bit nervous about the change, but we’ll see how it goes!
Have you used scene setters in your classroom before?

• Dana June 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Super cute idea! I have seen pics of your reading area before, but had no idea it was a scene setter! I'm going to look for some and how I can use them in my room. Thanks!

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Jess June 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Do you get the scene setter from Oriental Trading? I really like this idea and I don't have any windows in my room, so I think this would help brighten things up without overdoing it.

• Kristen June 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Dana!
    Jess, I don't think I got it from there…I just searched on google and tried to find the cheapest one. I think it was from some online party store. They do brighten up the room nicely. Thanks for reading 🙂

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Those are awesome! Thanks for the idea! I am going to search for some also!

Jenaya
    Lesson Plan Diva

• cleo77433 June 23, 2011 at 12:25 am

This is SO creative, I was thinking of doing the EXACT same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and they have various Ocean/beach themes for a buck each. They sell both horizontal as well as vertical ones each measuring about 3 X 5 feet or so….

• mtompkins June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I love how that looks! I never would have thought to use those scene setters like that. Very cool! I'd like to find a jungle/safari theme. 🙂

WILD About First Grade!

• Ms.M June 23, 2011 at 3:20 am

Very creative I can't wait to see what you do next.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Tara June 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

Such a cute idea!! Love it over the tops of your windows:) Good luck with the color/theme change…I was in a teacher store a few weeks ago and started that process and then got overwhelmed and walked away!! teehee:) Maybe later. Thanks for sharing, I'm pretty new to all this blogging but totally addicted. Love all the ideas and sharing:)

4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com

• Annie Moffatt June 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You are SO inventive:0) I am storing this idea in my file brain for when I go back into the classroom. Awesome!
    Annie

• Lesson Plan SOS Teachers June 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Such a great idea!!! I used one for our End of the Year Learning Celebration: Hollywood Style…and it just adds that extra special touch! Love how you are using them! 🙂
    Melissa

• Kristen June 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks ladies! I was kind of sad to take it all down today, but then there's the fun of a new year and a new set-up!

• Anonymous June 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your great idea! I've already decided that I will be using scene setters in my new dark and gloomy classroom. However, I'm wondering how well do these hold up to direct sunlight? Will they help filter some of the light coming into the classroom?

Joseph

• Kristen June 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Joseph, I'm actually not too sure…I haven't put any of mine in direct sunlight. I think they would help filter it a bit. They're made from a really thin vinyl. Hope this helps!

• Patty September 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love these! I just found out Thursday (3 weeks after the start of school) that I am being moved out to a trailer to make room for a new class. I am in the process of moving and was not happy but decided to call my room the beach house. These will work great and make me eager to be in my new place.

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram