Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011

Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011
Have you seen these before? I’ve used them for a few years now and I love them!
They’re called Scene Setters…they’re these huge vinyl mural things that people use for parties.

And they are a wonderful way to add some color to your class, hide an unattractive area, or coordinate your room colors overall!

This ocean one is my favorite and has worked well with my blue classroom in the past (in two different classrooms).
This past year, I used the scene setter to cover the part above my windows…I have 6 windows with these weird, white tops, like this:

The sad thing is those white parts used to be glass as well, many years ago. That must have been so beautiful!

Anyhow, with the scene setter, the window looks like this instead:

Here are the six windows all together with the scene setters. I just hot glued them to the top…
I guess it’s kind of hard to tell now with the room all packed up, but it made a big difference in the color scheme!
I also used the scene setter in my closet where I store my math games. I think I have mentioned before how I removed the closet doors, so I could have an extra space to store games and manipulatives. Plus, with the doors off, I have to be neat and not hide any messes!

This is how the closet looks now, with the brick exposed:
But this is how it looked with the scene setter earlier this year:
As attached as I am to my ocean scene setter, I’m going to try something new next year, as I will be changing my color scheme to something new. I’m a bit nervous about the change, but we’ll see how it goes!
Have you used scene setters in your classroom before?

• Dana June 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Super cute idea! I have seen pics of your reading area before, but had no idea it was a scene setter! I'm going to look for some and how I can use them in my room. Thanks!

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Jess June 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Do you get the scene setter from Oriental Trading? I really like this idea and I don't have any windows in my room, so I think this would help brighten things up without overdoing it.

• Kristen June 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Dana!
    Jess, I don't think I got it from there…I just searched on google and tried to find the cheapest one. I think it was from some online party store. They do brighten up the room nicely. Thanks for reading 🙂

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Those are awesome! Thanks for the idea! I am going to search for some also!

Jenaya
    Lesson Plan Diva

• cleo77433 June 23, 2011 at 12:25 am

This is SO creative, I was thinking of doing the EXACT same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and they have various Ocean/beach themes for a buck each. They sell both horizontal as well as vertical ones each measuring about 3 X 5 feet or so….

• mtompkins June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I love how that looks! I never would have thought to use those scene setters like that. Very cool! I'd like to find a jungle/safari theme. 🙂

WILD About First Grade!

• Ms.M June 23, 2011 at 3:20 am

Very creative I can't wait to see what you do next.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Tara June 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

Such a cute idea!! Love it over the tops of your windows:) Good luck with the color/theme change…I was in a teacher store a few weeks ago and started that process and then got overwhelmed and walked away!! teehee:) Maybe later. Thanks for sharing, I'm pretty new to all this blogging but totally addicted. Love all the ideas and sharing:)

4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com

• Annie Moffatt June 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You are SO inventive:0) I am storing this idea in my file brain for when I go back into the classroom. Awesome!
    Annie

• Lesson Plan SOS Teachers June 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Such a great idea!!! I used one for our End of the Year Learning Celebration: Hollywood Style…and it just adds that extra special touch! Love how you are using them! 🙂
    Melissa

• Kristen June 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks ladies! I was kind of sad to take it all down today, but then there's the fun of a new year and a new set-up!

• Anonymous June 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your great idea! I've already decided that I will be using scene setters in my new dark and gloomy classroom. However, I'm wondering how well do these hold up to direct sunlight? Will they help filter some of the light coming into the classroom?

Joseph

• Kristen June 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Joseph, I'm actually not too sure…I haven't put any of mine in direct sunlight. I think they would help filter it a bit. They're made from a really thin vinyl. Hope this helps!

• Patty September 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love these! I just found out Thursday (3 weeks after the start of school) that I am being moved out to a trailer to make room for a new class. I am in the process of moving and was not happy but decided to call my room the beach house. These will work great and make me eager to be in my new place.

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram