Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011

Classroom Design: Scene Setters

June 22, 2011
Have you seen these before? I’ve used them for a few years now and I love them!
They’re called Scene Setters…they’re these huge vinyl mural things that people use for parties.

And they are a wonderful way to add some color to your class, hide an unattractive area, or coordinate your room colors overall!

This ocean one is my favorite and has worked well with my blue classroom in the past (in two different classrooms).
This past year, I used the scene setter to cover the part above my windows…I have 6 windows with these weird, white tops, like this:

The sad thing is those white parts used to be glass as well, many years ago. That must have been so beautiful!

Anyhow, with the scene setter, the window looks like this instead:

Here are the six windows all together with the scene setters. I just hot glued them to the top…
I guess it’s kind of hard to tell now with the room all packed up, but it made a big difference in the color scheme!
I also used the scene setter in my closet where I store my math games. I think I have mentioned before how I removed the closet doors, so I could have an extra space to store games and manipulatives. Plus, with the doors off, I have to be neat and not hide any messes!

This is how the closet looks now, with the brick exposed:
But this is how it looked with the scene setter earlier this year:
As attached as I am to my ocean scene setter, I’m going to try something new next year, as I will be changing my color scheme to something new. I’m a bit nervous about the change, but we’ll see how it goes!
Have you used scene setters in your classroom before?

• Dana June 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Super cute idea! I have seen pics of your reading area before, but had no idea it was a scene setter! I'm going to look for some and how I can use them in my room. Thanks!

Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

• Jess June 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Do you get the scene setter from Oriental Trading? I really like this idea and I don't have any windows in my room, so I think this would help brighten things up without overdoing it.

• Kristen June 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Dana!
    Jess, I don't think I got it from there…I just searched on google and tried to find the cheapest one. I think it was from some online party store. They do brighten up the room nicely. Thanks for reading 🙂

• The Lesson Plan Diva- A 1st grade blog June 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Those are awesome! Thanks for the idea! I am going to search for some also!

Jenaya
    Lesson Plan Diva

• cleo77433 June 23, 2011 at 12:25 am

This is SO creative, I was thinking of doing the EXACT same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and they have various Ocean/beach themes for a buck each. They sell both horizontal as well as vertical ones each measuring about 3 X 5 feet or so….

• mtompkins June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I love how that looks! I never would have thought to use those scene setters like that. Very cool! I'd like to find a jungle/safari theme. 🙂

WILD About First Grade!

• Ms.M June 23, 2011 at 3:20 am

Very creative I can't wait to see what you do next.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Tara June 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

Such a cute idea!! Love it over the tops of your windows:) Good luck with the color/theme change…I was in a teacher store a few weeks ago and started that process and then got overwhelmed and walked away!! teehee:) Maybe later. Thanks for sharing, I'm pretty new to all this blogging but totally addicted. Love all the ideas and sharing:)

4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com

• Annie Moffatt June 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You are SO inventive:0) I am storing this idea in my file brain for when I go back into the classroom. Awesome!
    Annie

• Lesson Plan SOS Teachers June 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Such a great idea!!! I used one for our End of the Year Learning Celebration: Hollywood Style…and it just adds that extra special touch! Love how you are using them! 🙂
    Melissa

• Kristen June 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks ladies! I was kind of sad to take it all down today, but then there's the fun of a new year and a new set-up!

• Anonymous June 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your great idea! I've already decided that I will be using scene setters in my new dark and gloomy classroom. However, I'm wondering how well do these hold up to direct sunlight? Will they help filter some of the light coming into the classroom?

Joseph

• Kristen June 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Joseph, I'm actually not too sure…I haven't put any of mine in direct sunlight. I think they would help filter it a bit. They're made from a really thin vinyl. Hope this helps!

• Patty September 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love these! I just found out Thursday (3 weeks after the start of school) that I am being moved out to a trailer to make room for a new class. I am in the process of moving and was not happy but decided to call my room the beach house. These will work great and make me eager to be in my new place.

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram