Ecosystems and Science Folder Labels (printable)

May 26, 2011

Ecosystems and Science Folder Labels (printable)

May 26, 2011

Last week, we worked on the terrarium part of our ecosystems project.
This week has been very exciting since we have started the aquarium part of the project! (Really, I don’t know how I’d survive the last few weeks of 5th grade without an all-encompassing project like this). It has been one of the best experiences of our year and the kids are learning so much from them!
We’ve been studying the aquatic plants (Elodea and Duckweed).

But, sadly, the plants just can’t compete with the fish! And snails!!! You can see both in the picture to the right. I think some of the fish are due to have babies soon (that was a cool surprise last year!). We even had teenytiny baby snails last May!!

The aquatic plants and animals have already led to some great discussions about how they each serve a purpose to this part of the ecosystem.

This whole unit provides such a concrete example of ecosystems, which is so important for my newcomer ELL students.

I can’t wait until they put the terrariums and aquariums together! I remember my students last year really saying they “got it” when they saw the whole ecosystem functioning as one.
This unit has some great handouts and experiments, which we store in our Science Folders. Which brings me to today’s printable…labels for science folders…

I know everyone is getting close to being finished, but maybe it’s something you could use next year 🙂

Are you wrapping up any big projects right now?

• Ms. Draffkorn May 26, 2011 at 1:41 am

This is awesome! It's great to make the content concrete. At the end of the maternity leave that I covered for the past few months, we were learning about alternatives to fossil fuels, so my seventh and eighth graders researched, designed, and built their own solar cookers. It was a great end-of-my-time project, especially for the eighth graders who were totally checked out by that point anyway.

Magnificent Multiagers!

• Melissa May 26, 2011 at 1:52 am

I love your post! We get elodea, guppies, and goldfish every year to study and compare the two fish. I never focused much on the plants though. Do you have each child make their own bottle aquarium? And thanks for the printable!Any chance you could make one that says science notebook instead of folder?
    Thanks!!
    F is For First Grade

• Ms.M May 26, 2011 at 2:25 am

This is fantastic. I love it. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Anna Brantley May 26, 2011 at 3:02 am

oops!!!
    WOW!!! This is soooooo cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anna

• Natalie Kay May 26, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thanks for the labels! I will absolutely be using this next year!!

• Kristen May 27, 2011 at 12:40 am

Thanks everyone!! 🙂 I'm so glad they can be used.

Melissa, usually the students share a bottle (then we raffle them off). This year, my class is smaller so each student has their own. The guppies and goldfish sound great! Do they take them home after?

I'm posting labels for the science notebooks tonight 🙂

• Melissa May 27, 2011 at 2:52 am

The first year we were allowed to let kids "adopt" the fish, but then after a group of frogs (in another grade level) had some disease we were told not to send home any living creatures with students. Bummer for the kids, they loved taking them home!
    I've always had the fish in larger tanks and the kids have to crowd around to observe them. So maybe next year I'll try your bottle idea and that way the fish can be spread out more.
    F is For First Grade

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram