Ecosystems and Science Folder Labels (printable)

May 26, 2011

Ecosystems and Science Folder Labels (printable)

May 26, 2011

Last week, we worked on the terrarium part of our ecosystems project.
This week has been very exciting since we have started the aquarium part of the project! (Really, I don’t know how I’d survive the last few weeks of 5th grade without an all-encompassing project like this). It has been one of the best experiences of our year and the kids are learning so much from them!
We’ve been studying the aquatic plants (Elodea and Duckweed).

But, sadly, the plants just can’t compete with the fish! And snails!!! You can see both in the picture to the right. I think some of the fish are due to have babies soon (that was a cool surprise last year!). We even had teenytiny baby snails last May!!

The aquatic plants and animals have already led to some great discussions about how they each serve a purpose to this part of the ecosystem.

This whole unit provides such a concrete example of ecosystems, which is so important for my newcomer ELL students.

I can’t wait until they put the terrariums and aquariums together! I remember my students last year really saying they “got it” when they saw the whole ecosystem functioning as one.
This unit has some great handouts and experiments, which we store in our Science Folders. Which brings me to today’s printable…labels for science folders…

I know everyone is getting close to being finished, but maybe it’s something you could use next year 🙂

Are you wrapping up any big projects right now?

• Ms. Draffkorn May 26, 2011 at 1:41 am

This is awesome! It's great to make the content concrete. At the end of the maternity leave that I covered for the past few months, we were learning about alternatives to fossil fuels, so my seventh and eighth graders researched, designed, and built their own solar cookers. It was a great end-of-my-time project, especially for the eighth graders who were totally checked out by that point anyway.

Magnificent Multiagers!

• Melissa May 26, 2011 at 1:52 am

I love your post! We get elodea, guppies, and goldfish every year to study and compare the two fish. I never focused much on the plants though. Do you have each child make their own bottle aquarium? And thanks for the printable!Any chance you could make one that says science notebook instead of folder?
    Thanks!!
    F is For First Grade

• Ms.M May 26, 2011 at 2:25 am

This is fantastic. I love it. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Anna Brantley May 26, 2011 at 3:02 am

oops!!!
    WOW!!! This is soooooo cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anna

• Natalie Kay May 26, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thanks for the labels! I will absolutely be using this next year!!

• Kristen May 27, 2011 at 12:40 am

Thanks everyone!! 🙂 I'm so glad they can be used.

Melissa, usually the students share a bottle (then we raffle them off). This year, my class is smaller so each student has their own. The guppies and goldfish sound great! Do they take them home after?

I'm posting labels for the science notebooks tonight 🙂

• Melissa May 27, 2011 at 2:52 am

The first year we were allowed to let kids "adopt" the fish, but then after a group of frogs (in another grade level) had some disease we were told not to send home any living creatures with students. Bummer for the kids, they loved taking them home!
    I've always had the fish in larger tanks and the kids have to crowd around to observe them. So maybe next year I'll try your bottle idea and that way the fish can be spread out more.
    F is For First Grade

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram