Vocabulary Graphic Organizer

March 8, 2011

Vocabulary Graphic Organizer

March 8, 2011
At the copier this morning, I found an old vocabulary graphic organizer. It was that one with “definition, picture example, and non-example”. I had forgotten about this type of organizer and tried it out with my class this morning. They loved it!

We used the graphic organizer for one of our spelling words (of the students’ choice).

My more independent students were able to look up the definitions on the computer and complete the paper themselves.

My newer students and I worked on the sheet together…it was a simple and great vocabulary activity for everyone!

The only problem? The paper was a little (ok a lot) outdated and hard-to-read.

So I whipped up my own version this evening. I added some different categories, such as “suffixes” so we can write the different tenses/forms of the word. I also added a “related words” category, since I know this is something that will be very useful for my ELL students. I hope it is something you might be able to use as well!

Here is the file:

Vocabulary Graphic Organizer

Do you have any favorite graphic organizers for vocabulary? Or activities for vocabulary that work well for your students?

• morrjm March 8, 2011 at 1:18 am

I love it!! Thanks!

• Katie King March 8, 2011 at 1:22 am

I do weekly writing prompts with my kids on the vocabulary words. For example, one of our words this week is tempting. I am having the students list and draw foods that are tempting to them and then write a sentence with the word. I found that they forgot the words too easily when they used the activity from our unit. Thanks for sharing this template!

• tiffany March 8, 2011 at 1:31 am

I had to laugh when you said you "found it" on the copier. I can't tell you how many times great things have been discovered abandoned on the copier!! Thanks for reworking it, looks great as always!!

• Ms. Morgart March 8, 2011 at 1:42 am

LOL…I have to admit….I have done it too!! I just can't help myself when I see a great idea that I can tweak a little 😉

LOVE THIS!! Thanks!!
    Curls and a Smile

• Katie March 8, 2011 at 2:23 am

awfully persnickety of you… 🙂

I love your printable! I always find that taking the most basic things and just making them a little more kid-friendly makes all the difference.. especially for ELLs

• The Peterson Family March 8, 2011 at 7:19 am

Not that it has anything to do with this post – but I LOVE all your printables – labels, signs, etc. I especially love that they use Thistle Girls graphics since I already have some of those in my classroom, so it all matches already, without me having to do any extra work.

Thanks again:)

• Kelly March 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

What a great idea, lends itself to so many abilities especially when you have a class of 31. Thanks for sharing.

• Erica Bohrer March 10, 2011 at 12:32 am

Very cute! Thanks for sharing.

Erica Bohrer's First Grade

• Karen Greenberg March 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I absolutely love this. Thanks for sharing! As a new teacher I am collecting as many different ideas as possible. I can see this being one of my favorites for vocabulary.

• amanda.janson July 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Getting ready for school to start I have been stumbling upon a bunch of great blogs and ideas. I absolutely love your ideas and files you are sharing. I really like this vocabulary graphic organizer, I would like to modify it for a bit for my third graders but am not sure how. Could you share how you modify it or create one with just the word, definition, picture, sentence, synonym, and antonym?

• Kristen July 27, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Sorry Amanda, I do not have the original anymore–I store a lot of items like that on Google Docs or my computer would be overloaded! Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Amy August 24, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for sharing this; it's fantastic! I had to pin it!

Amy @ First Things First

• Mrs. S. January 3, 2012 at 5:53 am

Wow! I just saw this on Pinterest and just had to come and find it on your blog! Golly! Congratulations on everything. Thanks so much for all you share! You are amazing! Thanks a million for your tutorials, too! I ♥love, ♥love, ♥love them!

Melly<><
    staplersstrategies@gmail.com
    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

• slpcowgal72 March 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

This is great! I currently use something similar, but your layout is much more kid-friendly and fun to look at. Thanks for sharing!

• chari April 13, 2012 at 6:09 am

Hi! I found this on Pinterest and I really liked the idea for my kid. I hope you don't mind that I copied your idea and created my own version. Here's the link: http://pinterest.com/pin/29906784995661367/

Thank you for sharing!

• Kaylees Education Studio June 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I love your version of this vocabulary graphic organizer.

• Emily Powers July 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I love this! Thanks for the freebie! I will definitely be using this. I love that it is simple and cute too!

Emily
    Teaching With Powers

• Barb July 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks so much! I use a version of this in my classroom, but this one is much nicer.

• mamabeck September 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Thank you so much for sharing graphic organizers like this! I'm a homeschool mom of five, and my two elementary age children will be helped by something like this! God Bless! Becky

• Anonymous December 30, 2012 at 2:35 am

I've taught for many years and have five teaching areas. This year I am a new ESL teacher looking for materials for vocabulary instruction and I love this organizer! I already use a word map; I adapted amine from the Frayer model, but this one is better because it has more areas for information and is so kid-friendly!

• Kristen December 30, 2012 at 2:36 am

Oh thank you!! I'm so glad you can use it!

• Carrie Arensmeyer June 29, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This is a fabulous graphic organizer! Always looking for great vocab ideas. Thank you!

• Turned into a beautiful day 💙 #maine #teachersummer #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Maine 💙 #teachersummer #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Packing for the beach! I’m trying to stuff a few more books into my suitcase if I can...have you read any of these yet? #teachersonbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have magnetic whiteboards in your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I LOVE mine...I only wish all of my walls could be filled with magnetic whiteboards! 😂 This year, I started using a little magnetic tool to save lots of time...and to avoid repeating information over and over.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made these little due date magnets and they help in two ways. They hold extra assignments, forms, and work samples.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They display the due date! Swipe to see some pics from our class. These little magnets kept me MUCH more organized this year...and they kept my fourth graders in the know!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are the perfect (easy) summer project for a rainy day...that’s actually what I’m doing today! 🌧 If you would like to see more, the link to this resource is in my profile (http://bit.ly/duedatemagnets)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th