Organizing your blog by topics

March 5, 2011

Organizing your blog by topics

March 5, 2011

This post is for the wonderful Erica Bohrer from Erica Bohrer’s First Grade! I just love her blog, she has many amazing resources!

This is one of my most favorite parts about Blogger–labels! I love how you can organize all of your posts…and Blogger makes it really easy to maintain once you’ve started. There are a bunch of nice options too.

To organize your blog by labels, go to the Gadgets tool in your sidebar. Select “Add A Gadget”.

From the gadgets list, choose “Labels”.

Now you will see some different choices for displaying your labels…I like to sort mine by frequency so readers can see what is posted the most first. I also like the list format. I try to keep my label list pretty short (but it’s really hard to do!) so I can keep it displayed as a list, but not too long of a list!

There are a couple of ways to label your posts. The easiest of choices is to use the box at the bottom of your posting screen and just type in a label name. It will be loaded automatically into your Labels widget…as long as you selected “All labels” in the Configuration screen.

Once you have your basic label names, Blogger makes it easy to maintain them. All you have to do is enter the first character or so of your label name and the full name will automatically pop up! Then, you can just click on the name and you’re good to go.

The default name for the Labels widget is (surprise!) Labels, but you can change the name if you’d like. I like to use Blog Topics, as you can see!

One other neat thing…if you create page tabs at the top of your blog, you can get the link for all of your labels in one category (like I used “Organization” for my Organization button at the top). This will show all posts in that category when the button is clicked.

What kind of label configuration do you like best, the list or the cloud?

• Erica Bohrer March 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm

OMG you work fast! Thanks so much for posting. I have learned so much from you already!

Erica Bohrer's First Grade

• Ms.M March 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm

You are so techi it's inspirational. I don't know what kind of label configureation I like but I hope to find out soon.

• Stephanie Rose March 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for all the info!!!

How exactly Do you create tabs at the top?? I can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks!!!

• Ladybug Teacher March 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thanks all!

Stephanie, the tabs are part of the blog template I made (they're built into it). But you can make buttons…I have a couple of tutorials on buttons on here.

• Stephanie Rose March 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Thanks. I am just working to try to make my blog more interesting and also functional, and this is all pretty new to me!

• Kimberly April 24, 2011 at 12:20 am

Just used this handy blogger tip to organize my posts. Thank you!
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Turned into a beautiful day 💙 #maine #teachersummer #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Maine 💙 #teachersummer #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Packing for the beach! I’m trying to stuff a few more books into my suitcase if I can...have you read any of these yet? #teachersonbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have magnetic whiteboards in your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I LOVE mine...I only wish all of my walls could be filled with magnetic whiteboards! 😂 This year, I started using a little magnetic tool to save lots of time...and to avoid repeating information over and over.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made these little due date magnets and they help in two ways. They hold extra assignments, forms, and work samples.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They display the due date! Swipe to see some pics from our class. These little magnets kept me MUCH more organized this year...and they kept my fourth graders in the know!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are the perfect (easy) summer project for a rainy day...that’s actually what I’m doing today! 🌧 If you would like to see more, the link to this resource is in my profile (http://bit.ly/duedatemagnets)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th