Organizing your blog by topics

March 5, 2011

Organizing your blog by topics

March 5, 2011

This post is for the wonderful Erica Bohrer from Erica Bohrer’s First Grade! I just love her blog, she has many amazing resources!

This is one of my most favorite parts about Blogger–labels! I love how you can organize all of your posts…and Blogger makes it really easy to maintain once you’ve started. There are a bunch of nice options too.

To organize your blog by labels, go to the Gadgets tool in your sidebar. Select “Add A Gadget”.

From the gadgets list, choose “Labels”.

Now you will see some different choices for displaying your labels…I like to sort mine by frequency so readers can see what is posted the most first. I also like the list format. I try to keep my label list pretty short (but it’s really hard to do!) so I can keep it displayed as a list, but not too long of a list!

There are a couple of ways to label your posts. The easiest of choices is to use the box at the bottom of your posting screen and just type in a label name. It will be loaded automatically into your Labels widget…as long as you selected “All labels” in the Configuration screen.

Once you have your basic label names, Blogger makes it easy to maintain them. All you have to do is enter the first character or so of your label name and the full name will automatically pop up! Then, you can just click on the name and you’re good to go.

The default name for the Labels widget is (surprise!) Labels, but you can change the name if you’d like. I like to use Blog Topics, as you can see!

One other neat thing…if you create page tabs at the top of your blog, you can get the link for all of your labels in one category (like I used “Organization” for my Organization button at the top). This will show all posts in that category when the button is clicked.

What kind of label configuration do you like best, the list or the cloud?

• Erica Bohrer March 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm

OMG you work fast! Thanks so much for posting. I have learned so much from you already!

Erica Bohrer's First Grade

• Ms.M March 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm

You are so techi it's inspirational. I don't know what kind of label configureation I like but I hope to find out soon.

• Stephanie Rose March 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for all the info!!!

How exactly Do you create tabs at the top?? I can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks!!!

• Ladybug Teacher March 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thanks all!

Stephanie, the tabs are part of the blog template I made (they're built into it). But you can make buttons…I have a couple of tutorials on buttons on here.

• Stephanie Rose March 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Thanks. I am just working to try to make my blog more interesting and also functional, and this is all pretty new to me!

• Kimberly April 24, 2011 at 12:20 am

Just used this handy blogger tip to organize my posts. Thank you!
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram