Noun Posters

March 11, 2011

Noun Posters

March 11, 2011

One of the many challenges with my older ELL newcomers is that they have to learn so many different aspects of language that younger students often have already learned. Many of them already have this knowledge in their primary language…it’s just a matter of touching upon it or introducing it in English.

My big struggle is covering these concepts in a way that is engaging for 4th and 5th graders. In the instance of parts of speech (which have come up again in our use of the Vocabulary Graphic Organizer), all it has taken is some sorting and categorizing activities.

I made these little posters for nouns recently…the kids really like them (I love how they get excited when they find out I made something…isn’t that the best??). Anyways, I kept the signs all labeled as nouns, but separated into person, place, and thing. We did a quick (like less than 5 minute) whole group sorting, then broke into teams. Each team folded a chart paper into 3 columns, labeled them person, place, and thing, and had 7 minutes to fill the categories. With my class (and I’m sure many others) timing something instantly turns it into a fun activity!

The more fluent speakers and writers had no problem brainstorming lists of words they knew in English. Many others used our Content Picture Dictionaries. If you haven’t seen these before, you must check them out…this yellow one is for older students (grades 3 to 5) and there is a blue one for younger students. The pages are sorted by topic, with a large picture on one side with all of the related items, then small pictures labeled with the word on the next page. I would even use them in a mainstream class. And they are, of course, ideal for ELL students.

Anyhow, I loved some of the words they came up with from the Picture Dictionaries. One of my students had written the word “knight” and when we shared out, everyone thought “night” and no! that wasn’t a person! So it was a neat little teachable moment.

The whole activity took about 25 minutes. It was quick and effective for all of my diverse learners 🙂 I’m keeping a larger chart paper with the noun posters as labels, so students can continue to add to their nouns list.

I’m working on adjectives next and I’ll be sure to post those when they are ready…have to give those a lot of thought as they would be a really good reference source for our writing if I can organize it well.

Here are the files:

Noun Posters

• Lauren March 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for sharing! These are great!! 🙂

• Kimberly March 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thank you for sharing! Very cute!
    Kimberly

• Miss Lauren March 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I will absolutely use these – very cute and my 4th and 5th graders are working on the same thing!

Off topic question – how did you put a PDF file attached to your blog?? Newbie here!! =)

• Ladybug Teacher March 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I'm so glad you guys can use them!

Miss Lauren, I posted a bit about embedding links…just click the link below to see it (hope it helps!)

Embedding Googledocs

• Ms.M March 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Ooooo, my tatter tots could use those posters too. Thanks! Oh & I use the same dictionaries! Must be an ELL thing. 😉

• Ladybug Teacher March 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I had a feeling you used those too, Ms. M! I almost asked you that in the post!

• Ms.M March 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I was wondering. Would it be possible to make a poster for Animals??? My students learn that a noun is a person, place, thing OR animal.

• Ladybug Teacher March 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Sure, should be easy…I'll post it later!

• Ms.M March 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Thanks so much. I will have to find away to pay you back. Maybe we can barter. 🙂

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram