Vacation Anticipation…and making lists!

February 17, 2011

Vacation Anticipation…and making lists!

February 17, 2011

I swear I must be crazy. In two days we are on February break. And I can’t wait…so I can work on teaching things!!! Please tell me I’m not alone in this (I know there’s no way I can be, with all of the fantastic things you all are always blogging about).

You should see me just before summer vacation. Of course I’m looking forward to sleeping late, drinking tons of coffee, going to the mountains, etc. But, most of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to work on projects and lessons! I already have my plans for this summer. And a million different things I want to do for next week.

Can you tell I’m getting a bit out of control?

To help myself calm down and focus, I talked to one of the most organized and efficient teachers I know at my school. She’s awesome. She told me how important it is for her to have lists to keep focused.

I know she’s right, but I’ve always been on-again, off-again with lists.

So here is my renewed attempt at lists. I think this will work for me. They are small enough to be used for each day/week (and the list won’t look too overwhelming!). I’m going to clip them to my planning book. I made four to a sheet and tried to space them out evenly, so only two cuts are needed.

Then I had to use a bunch of different kids…because I just love variety! They print out nicely in grayscale too, if you want to save your colored ink.

So here’s the To Do list.

Teacher’s To Do…

And I’m dying to know–who else in teachers-blogging-paradise loves making things and planning on vacation??

Please don’t leave me out here alone! :/

• Teacher February 17, 2011 at 2:28 am

I plan all of the time too 🙂

I think I will print these out and leave them out for my firsties… wonder what they think I need to do?!?! lol

Jennifer

• Erica Bohrer February 17, 2011 at 2:35 am

I am so looking forward to this break, so I have a chance to work on my "freelance" teacher stuff. I have a book due March 1st to my editor!

This summer I plan on organizing my materials and changing the decor of my classroom.

I always keep paper and a pen near me to jot down "To do's."

Thanks for sharing!

• Hadar February 17, 2011 at 2:53 am

I love making things whenever I have time! I've already copied one of your ideas 😉 check it out tomorrow!

• Sandra Guntorius February 17, 2011 at 3:09 am

I love my to do list, I even bought a cute pink folder with my initial to keep my list. About two months before summer I start one for what to do for next year and the summer.

• froggycupcakes February 17, 2011 at 4:40 am

To me, that's the best part of being on break! Call me crazy, but I love spending endless hours making my ideas come to life!

And what is this February Break you speak of??

• Amy February 17, 2011 at 10:31 am

Me, for sure! My day planner is binder clips of lists of lists. I even get my students to make my lists when they ask me for something. They know if they want comic paper, for example, that they need to write it on a post-it and stick it to my lesson plans…my go-to for my to-do list making after school. I'm very, very, very much looking forward to Monday (we only get 1 day off) and tackling some projects I've got on the go. Happy Vacation!

• Teacher Stuff February 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I'm right there with you! I have 3 to-do lists started at school for things to do on my 4 day weekend. Crazy, I know. And the sad thing is I won't get them all done. 🙁 But that's life with a 4 year old and a million things to do! Enjoy your week off. I am jealous!

• Mrs. McMurray February 18, 2011 at 2:54 am

I LOVE LISTS! I make them for everything. And I too spend much of my time off in the summer planning, organizing, and creating for school. But the work we put in during our time off really makes life easier when we're at work. Sometimes I feel a little obsessed with school stuff. I like think it just means I'm a fabulous teacher.=)

• Amber February 18, 2011 at 3:01 am

I find myself always making lists. I definitely want to steal your files, however it hasn't worked for me all day. 🙁 Is there any way you can email them to me: creganae@pwcs.edu

• Martha February 18, 2011 at 3:24 am

I love the list idea, but I too was unable to download the file. Message don't have permission to view came up in googledoc.
    Thanks for your help and enjoy your vacation!!

• Ladybug Teacher February 18, 2011 at 3:27 am

aaargh…googledocs is driving me crazy lately!

Does it work now?

So nice to hear from you all! I love that there are so many of us out there! 🙂

• Dana Baker February 19, 2011 at 12:18 am

Thank you for sharing your blog! I am awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award! http://love2learnandshare.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

Dana

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram