Organizing differentiated math work

February 4, 2011

Organizing differentiated math work

February 4, 2011
My newcomer ELL students represent a huge range of skills in math. Because of this, I find myself continually differentiating materials. From basic math skills all the way to on-grade level work, it’s a lot of management.

This past weekend, I rigged up a little system to help me keep all of these different papers (and my sanity). It has been working really nicely so far.

I used an old file box I had and a file folder for each student (the colors don’t mean anything, they’re just leftover folders). I put the folders in alphabetical order by first name (we do this a lot for sorting). This makes it easier for me to file specific work away for the students.

I’ve been running off the work a few days ahead, then just sorting it by skill. The yellow folder in the back is for the completed work (like you can’t see the label lol!).

This is one example of the work that I file. We have Everyday Math as our curriculum and I do enjoy many parts of it. However (and especially in 5th grade) this math series can be extremely challenging to students with limited fact mastery.

So I use Spaceship Math for math minutes each day. Spaceship Math is great because it cycles up through the facts (for instance all the zeroes and ones for multiplication) and there are four worksheets within each skill set (if that makes sense!). Since I’ve had many new students arrive I now have some of my students working on beginning multiplication facts, others working on speed and accuracy in the more difficult multiplication facts, and still others practicing very basic addition.

The worksheets are labeled, but are a bit tough to see. So I use a Sharpie to label the version (A3 represents the 3rd addition paper) and A or M in the right hand corner (for Addition or Multiplication).

This makes it easier to sort and correct.

So, now we are working on math minutes all at the same time…but at the level needed for each student.

In addition to these math minutes, I’ve been adding other skill papers to each file. These are used during the math workshop I am still trying to pull together efficiently (ugh) as part of each students’ independent work.

This file system has really helped me refocus and make sure everyone has the work they need the most. The kids, of course, love it (though I’m afraid my type-A tendencies are rubbing off on them!). I’m thinking of making a couple more of these boxes, for Spelling and Reading. Here are the files for the math work, in case you would like them:

Independent Math Work sign

Completed Work sign

• Mrs. Patton February 5, 2011 at 1:40 am

Great system, thanks for sharing.

By the way… I'm your 99th follower 🙂

• Ladybug Teacher February 5, 2011 at 2:07 am

Mrs Patton!! I've been wicked excited about follower 100 but I am honored that you are 99–thanks for following! 🙂 🙂

• MrsKinne February 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I am so glad I found your site! I teach ELL first grade, and I could adapt so many of your ideas for use with my kiddos. Plus, I am feeling overwhelmed with "stuff" in my classroom, and your organizational ideas are awesome! 🙂

• Anonymous May 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Love this idea! Isn't it secretly wonderful when your students "catch-on" to the type A personality in most teachers?! LOL!

• Kristen May 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

lol, it is Thea!!! 🙂

• Anonymous July 7, 2011 at 2:19 am

Love this idea!! I have a lot of ESL students as well, and I think this is fabulous!! Thanks for sharing!

• jnwells December 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Is there a sign you could share for differentiated reading work? I just want it to say Independent Reading in lieu of Math?
    Jodie Wells

• Kristen January 16, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I'm sorry Jodie, I don't have one right now!

• celeste January 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Where do you get your clipart for the students in your math work file?

• Chris & Heather May 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm

It's so great to hear someone else using Everyday Math in 5th Grade sees the same issue with skill drill. Thank you for sharing!

• Teresa June 15, 2012 at 2:08 am

This is fantastic, thank you!! I have been looking for something to supplement my Everyday Math materials. I think I will need to try this in the fall!!

Teresa

• Dru June 30, 2012 at 12:09 am

Love!! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful idea!

• Julia Leonard March 8, 2013 at 4:56 pm

What would you say is the most important part of minute math worksheets? I'm working on adding this section to my site now. I want to make something that teachers and kids can enjoy.

mathworksheetsland.com

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram