Math Games Library, Part I

January 2, 2011

Math Games Library, Part I

January 2, 2011
I mentioned our math games library in Around the Room Organization. This library is for our Everyday Math games. This was part of a summer project and I ended up making game baskets for different grade levels: 2nd (pink), 3rd (yellow), 4th (green), and 5th (blue). In case you are wondering about the photo above, I had removed the closet doors (which were old and falling apart) to free up some space.

For each grade level, I looked at all of the games available in the book. I then sorted them by subject (you can see Place Value and Decimals/Percents in this picture). I thought this would make it easier when the students and I were looking for games in certain areas of math. This is also a way to differentiate. For instance, there are a variety of games on multiplication in grades 3, 4, and 5. This is ideal for my very diverse learners. Some of my ELL students come with very little formal schooling, while others are right on grade level in math, they just acquiring the academic language of math in English. I like that all students can play a game on a subject we’re studying in math, at the level they need.

Once I had grouped out the games into different areas of math, I drew a map of the entire library. I then numbered the baskets in order, all throughout the library. This is not my original idea, I was inspired to number the library from the Daily Cafe. Please see below for the basket labels:

Pink 1

Pink, Yellow 2

Yellow 3

Yellow 4

Green 5

Green 6

Green, Blue 7

Blue, 8

Blue, 9

All Green, Blue (in a Word doc, so you can add your own numbers if you’d like)

For each game, I made 6 copies. I laminated them, so the kids would be able to write on them with dry erase markers.

Then, I put a single game set inside a sandwich baggie, with a label. These labels indicate the game title, basket number the game belongs in, and any materials the students will need to play the game.

Click here to access the game stickers, as shown above. Stickers will print on 2″ by 4″ labels.

Tomorrow, I will share more about how the game directions, manipulatives, and playing cards are stored. I won’t be posting until the evening, as we head back tomorrow.

To those going back to school as well, good luck!

• Mrs. Magee February 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm

The labels are amazing and will work perfectly with the Debbie Diller Math Work Stations I will be setting up in my room! Thanks for sharing!

• PenguinPhan February 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for sharing. We just adopted Everyday Math this year and I am a little overwhelmed with organizing all the materials. Where did you get the baskets to store the games in?

• Mrs. Lutton February 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thanks! How cool!! I love the baskets. Where did you get them? Are these games in the EDM? You are so kind to share all these things.

Julie

Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

• Ladybug Teacher February 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Hey PenguinPhan (love the name!) and Mrs. Lutton…the baskets were from the Dollar Tree from a couple of years ago.

• PenguinPhan February 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm

What did you do for the games that do not have a mat/board? (i.e. the Top-It games)

• Ladybug Teacher February 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm

PenguinPhan, I only made games for those that have a board in the reproducible book…otherwise the kids know where the cards/manipulatives are in this area to play the games without a board.

• Andi March 30, 2011 at 3:02 am

I love how you organized this! I think this will be my big summer project. Thanks! Question: Where do you find Math Clipart? I've been looking for place value clip art and such and I have had no luck. Any ideas?
    -Andi
    PencilsGlueandTyingShoes

• Brenda April 9, 2011 at 12:54 am

Ditto!! This is going to be my big summer project as well! This was our first year with EDM, so I'm definitely ready to move to a more organized system!
    Primary Inspired

• Love, Polka Dot May 23, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I love, love this! You are truly the queen of organization 🙂 I was waiting to find out what grade I would be teaching next year to begin this project. Our district uses Go Math, but I found an activity book similar to the games in EDM, so I think this will work 🙂 I was wondering, did you glue the copies of the games onto construction paper and then laminate them? It all looks so perfectly neat with the color matching baskets. I just bought some hot pink and hot green ones at the dollar store and want to find matching paper. Also, are the games folded in half or are they on regular sized paper? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you sooo much!

p.s. I am also working on implementing the library system you have. Busy busy summer ahead of me 🙂

• Kristen May 24, 2011 at 12:22 am

Hi Polka Dot! Thank you so much! Believe me, I am not as organized as I'd like to be (especially right now!). The games are glued to colored paper (just regular printer paper). They are on half sheets because that is how many of the games come in EDM–plus it works well for fitting in the baskets! Please let me know if you need more info, I'd be happy to help 🙂

• Love, Polka Dot May 24, 2011 at 3:25 am

Thank you so much for your help! 🙂 I wish the games for Go Math were as fun as EDM. Hopefully once the project is done I can send you a picture! 🙂

• Anonymous June 9, 2011 at 2:58 pm

This is so cool! I'm such a visual so the pictures are wonderful. I'm struggling downloading your files. It says -unable to open this internet site. Hmmm. Thank you again for sharing. I can't wait to get started on this project. 🙂

• Anonymous June 19, 2011 at 1:02 am

I am in awe of this. You are my inspiration! I am definitely tackling this during the summer. Our math curriculum has great games/centers that come with it, but just lacks the organization. Thank you for sharing this!

• Anonymous July 4, 2011 at 1:44 am

Thank you for posting and sharing! So helpful. I hope I can get some of this word done in the future…

• Anonymous July 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Is EDM a curriculum? or is it something I can use in my classroom by itself? Where would you find it? THanks!!

• Ginger Snaps August 27, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Yeah, I 'm wondering too are all the games from Every Day Math? If so, are you able to share how to play each one?

• Kristen August 27, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hey Ginger Snaps, the games come as reproducibles with the curriculum…I just ran them off and organized them.

• krissyb October 27, 2011 at 2:36 am

I have just started using Everyday Math and I love how you organized everything. I would love to love at your game labels, but for some reason I'm unable to access them. Could you help me?

• Rebecca January 12, 2012 at 3:03 am

Oh my gosh!!! Girl, how I wish you could help me organize my math tubs to look like this!! Wow!! This is wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing the photos!

Rebecca
    Teaching First

• Anonymous June 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I love your site! Everything seems to be soo helpful and set up so cutie….

I do have a question on the math game tubs. Can you please give or show some examples of the math different type of math games you have in there… My mind is at a lost…

• Jilly-bean August 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hi!
    First of you all, you are one amazing lady and teacher!! I can't believe all of your work. I was wondering if you could explain where you ordered "everyday math" from. I am from Canada and get a lot of different result when searching for it. I teach a multi-level class of grade 4-5 (with many other levels in it) and would love to get a hand on those math games..would you be able to help me out?

• Kristen August 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hello and thanks so much!! Everyday Math is a series here in the US and my district adopted it a few years back. The games come in the teacher resource book…I'm not sure if it can be purchased or not. I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help!

• Mrs. Castro August 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I'm bummed out I'm teaching Everyday Math in Spanish! If I were teaching in English I would totally use these signs! I have the same shelves though, so at least I can organize my things the same way. 🙂
    Laura
    Mrs. Castro's Class

• Unknown November 12, 2012 at 7:03 am

Love love love your organization of these everyday math supplies. Please tell me where you purchased these baskets!

Brie
    Indiana
    brienne.cundiff@gmail.com

• Kristen November 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Hi Brie! They are older ones from the Dollar Tree, years back. I don't think they have the exact ones, but I do see various bright ones there. Thank you for reading my blog 🙂

• kristid2013 December 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I would like to possibly find a book/teacher's manual for everyday math. I think my students could REALLY benefit from it, especially since it has different levels. Is there anyway you can tell me the official title of your book or maybe the ISBN number so I may look for it online? Thanks so much!
    Love your site! It helps me so much!!

Kristi