Homework Organization

December 27, 2010

Homework Organization

December 27, 2010
So the blue baskets I got for my students’ desks have been really useful in other parts of the room as well. I used them to make a sort of homework station by our Homeworkopoly gameboard. I have a basket for Reading Logs (I check them off each morning), Spelling Homework, and Math Homework.

Initially, I wasn’t sure how to label these baskets. I had tried a sign on the front of each basket, but it was too hard to see. I ended up making full-page signs that I laminated, then hot glued to each basket (as shown to the right). It took a bit of playing around with the design to get the title to show just right. Here are some for you:

1. Reading Log basket paper
2. Math Homework basket paper
3. Spelling Homework basket paper

Each basket has a homework checklist. Each morning, one of the students writes the date for the day and all students check their name off as their homework is turned in. The checklist is kept on top of the stack and the students just place their papers below this top sheet.

1. Reading checklist
2. Math checklist
3. Spelling checklist

How do you like to organize your students’ homework papers?

• Kelly Zakrajsek January 29, 2011 at 2:52 am

This is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love how it teaches the kids to be in charge of their homework! I am going to make this part of our turn in process! Thank you SO much for sharing!

• Ms.M March 24, 2011 at 4:30 am

I am going to organize it just like you. At the moment I just collect papers & pile them up until they bug me, then I put a sticker on them & return them. VERY UNORGANIZED. I am so ashamed. However, I am going to turn my life around with this system.

• Ms. Morales March 28, 2011 at 2:34 am

I love this idea. I have a homework cubby in which students keep ALL reading, math, and spelling homework in. In the morning while they work on their morning work, I go into each cubby to check homework. It is VERY time consuming. I like this idea so much better! I can't wait to use it!

• Mrs. Macdonald July 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love that this makes the kids responsible for checking off their own work when they turn it in. I'm absolutely going to use this. I have the same type baskets to turn in, but usually have to go through all of the papers to check everyone off. I would love to hear how you organize daily papers that they do in class for you and how you have them turn those in.. thanks. jennifer
    Mrs.Macs Maniacs

• Katie June 15, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hello! I just came across your blog and love your ideas! I know it's been a while but I wanted to share how I organize my homework. I have one basket that holds all homework. On the side I have clothes pins, one for each student. Their names are written on a pin. When they come in they attach their pin to their homework and out it in the bin. It keeps everything together and it's easy to see at a glance who didn't do their homework or is absent. It has worked great for me and the students love it!

• Kristen June 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

what a brilliant idea Katie!! Thank you so much for sharing, you have given me a lot to think about! 🙂 🙂

• Lisa T. July 2, 2012 at 5:05 am

Hi Kristen,
    Could you make the homework sign say "Writing Homework" and one that says, "Current Events"?
    I really want to try to get organized this year and I love your template.
    Thanks!
    Lisa

• Mrs. Blair July 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This was really helpful! I'm always struggling to collect the kid's homework, check off that they did it, then re-organizing it so I can correct it according to subject, then re-organizing it again so I can get it back to them. Was this an easy routine to set up in the beginning of the year?

• Anonymous July 23, 2012 at 2:29 am

Can you possibly make a Reading, Science, Social Studies, and Health basket paper and checklist? I would just love to have everything look as awesome as the three you put up!

• Daisie Hanson July 26, 2012 at 1:12 am

Do you have any suggestions for parents to help get their kids organized at school? My son is horrible and teachers keep saying we just need to work on it but while he's at school I don't know how to help. His desk is the worst. He's the kid with the overflowing desk. Any suggestions you might have would be great! The desks they have are the open top kind, would these baskets work?
    Thank you!
    Daisie

• Laura Barone July 30, 2012 at 3:59 am

Thank you, THank you for your amazing ideas!!!!! If I may ask, what is that monopoly bulletin board in the background of your pic with the blue bins?

• Kristen August 24, 2012 at 12:21 am

Hi everyone! The post you are reading above is an older one, from 2010. The downloads above are still available if you would like to use them, but I've since adapted my system a bit for the 2012-2013 school year.

I plan to be sharing my system soon and will catalog it on "Classroom Design & Organization" page when it is ready, so you can view the latest system we use in our class.

Thank you for visiting!!! 🙂

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram